My one year old keeps waking up crying...... why?

He wakes up maybe an hour after he is put to bed, he's been fed, etc. I check his diaper, usually wet, I change it, go out, and he continues to cry. it seems the only thing that helps is to give him a sippy with milk in it, which I know is terrible for his teeth so I don't want to do that. Water doesn't work.
He isn't too cold or too hot. but I want him to stop, because sometimes he will even wake up like 3 am.

What could be wrong? How do I solve the milk dilema (sometimes it seems like he just never stops crying, even 30 minutes later without it)?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could he be afraid of the dark. Get a night light. I am sorry water doesn't work. I wish for your sake it would. I wish for the sake of his teeth it would. Mama I would try the night light, and give him a sippy with water. He may cry at first, but he will get used to it. He will not cry every night until he is 18 years old. he will adjust. Kids are smart. Keep crying and I will get milk. Have you tried a sippy with milk before bed, Then brush his teeth and a sippy of water. Maybe he wants to feel a little fuller at bedtime. Good Luck mama!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 10:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I agree with the above post. I give my son (15 mths) a sippy of milk at bedtime, while we read his books. Then we brush his teeth, and he goes to bed.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• since it's at the same time each night, it's possible it's night terrors (although it doesn't sound that bad.). Tonight, stay in his room with him and see what happens. Maybe there's a noise or a clock that goes off. Maybe a neighbor gets home and the sound of the car wakes him. It's possible something startles him and then the cup of him just calms him back down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Sometimes my 13 month old daughter wakes up 1hr to 2hrs after she goes to bed everynight. maybe he isn't getting enough food to fill him up before he is going to bed, try giving him a snack before he goes to bed on top of his milk.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• He could be having nightmeres, could be afraid of the dark, or it could be that he's not eating enough before bedtime. I had this trouble a while back and my pediatrician suggested that I feed my son more before putting him to bed. Not only did it keep him asleep, but he didn't wake up too early in the morning either. I would suggest giving him more to eat (if he'll eat more) at dinner time and see if that helps him stay asleep longer. Usually when a child wakes up wanting milk/formula it's because they are actually hungry. On the rare occassion it's for comfort, then maybe putting a nightlight in his room, or letting him sleep with a stuffed animal might help.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2009