Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can a veteran get some help with rent?

This is very hard for me to admit. My husband and I are both veterans of the USMC and US Army Reserves. We are struggling right now and will soon be facing eviction. I am currently in the Reserves but my husband lost his job and hasnt found a new one yet. We have two small children less than a year old. Who can we turn to for help? We have never been in this situation before and are unsure what to do. I have never asked anyone for help, this is very hard.


Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • We dont get BAH, I am not active duty anymore and havent been for 2 years. I thought there would be specific agencies for veterans because there are specific places to go to find a job for veterans.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

  • Same as all of us Hon... stand in line. Sorry, but your story is no different than the millions who cannot afford heat, electricity, etc.... Get a better paying job, take another job.... Do what you have to... but don't rely on anyone but yourself.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

  • Ok, thanks for your help .. . NOT! Stupid answer. I am already facing eviction. and I live in Michigan with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Its 42 degrees out right now. We might be sleeping in our car by next weekend. Its beyond that just finding a job. I have never asked for help my entire life,I dont know where to turn. I dont get WIC or food stamps or any of that shit and I am asking for actual places that can help, not some stupid smart ass response. I am looking for places that can help, not advice that is worthless to me now since we are already being kicked out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

  • Public Assistance will help.


    Answer by louise2 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

  • Did you try the VA?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

  • If you are a reservist then you should be connected to what is available to certain military members.
    As a veteran, your husband should have been set up with a list of all his benefits once he retired/left the services.
    Otherwise, there are not any 'special' help for military members because they are already being paid a BAH that is supposed to cover the housing costs according to the amount of time they currently put into the military. The military feels that if you cannot manage your expenses then you are a hazard, rather than a benefit, to the US military.
    I know all this because I am a 12 year active-duty military wife whose husband is getting his veteran's info now before he leaves the service in a few months.
    The military is no more special than anyone else out there suffering. Can you ask friends & family to help? A local church? If you are going to end up in your car then you need to look into local shelters.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2009