My daughter is terrified of getting her hair wash. What can I do to make her at ease?

My daughter is so afraid of getting water in her eyes or ears. I am very careful when I wash her hair. She hates getting her hair wash. I tried getting her to sing her favorite song or closing her eyes to calm her. Nothing seems to work. She is so afraid. What can I do? Should I just try the salons,maybe she won't be so afaid if someone else is washing her hair.

Mia006

Asked by Mia006 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• let her was her own hair
    remind her that when it rains her face and hair gets wet
    wash your own hair in front of her.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My DD is scared of this too...mostly because the "tear free" soap is NEVER tear free! What I do now is wash her hair (with baby soap) and squirt her with her ducks lol. She thinks its a fun game and rinses her hair, and even if a tiny bit does get her eye she doesnt notice because it is so small, I also give her showers and she doesnt mind that way. I hope this works!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 10:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I use to let my DD's put a wash rag over their eyes. It seemed to make it easier for them.

Answer by louise2 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Just do it. I am serious. You cannot shield her from everything. Let these little things toughen her up for the bigger more frightening things in life.
    I am say be gentle, talk to her, but wash her hair everytime she is bathed. She will get used to it eventually.
    Anonymous

• i have a few ideas that helped me with the same problem.
    1) tell her to "look up to the sky! ok now close your eyes!" as i'm rinsing, being very careful not to get water in her eyes
    2)instead of wetting her hair, then shampooing, then rinsing- I take a big cup, put some shampoo in it, and fill it with the warm bath water and mix. then just have her tilt her head back as i pour it over her hair. then after that you just rinse a little. really alot easier and faster.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 11:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Have you tried this? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2793366#

My son was having the same problem and my mom bought me this bath cup. I don't have any more fights about washing his hair now. It works really well, without getting in his eyes or ears. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i USED to go thru this with my daughter..but now i crank up the hannah montana cd for her, so shes singing and dancing, i give her a face cloth and she places it over her face as i rinse her hair out...she has hair down to her bum, so washing hair hasnt always been the funnest times for us..but..since she was 3 this is what has worked for us!! :) shes 5 now..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My daughter gets a wash cloth and puts it over her eyes and ears while I wash her hair. I'm purposely not careful anymore about the water, and let it run over her face to help her get used to it. Hopefully she'll be able to get over this.
    Good Luck!!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My girls shower with me. The youngest one does not like water in her face. I put a wash cloth over her face and she holds it while I rinse her hair. I also use a hand held shower to rinse their hair because I can control exactly where the water goes.

I bought one of those bathtub cups at Wal-Mart. Hubby uses it when he gives the girls a bath (when they don't shower with me). The trick is to put the cup on her forehead and then tilt her head back.

For anon 9:55. When my duaghter first started showering with me (and in the tub before that), if water got in her face, she would scream and try to get out of the tub. It is not safe for her to fight me like that in the bathtub. It is no big deal to cover her face. And she may not get used to it. I am 45 and I don't like water in my face either. And I will never get used to it.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 3:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• What my mom and I did when we would wash my nieces hair (because she had the same problem) is we would have her sit up in the tub and we'd lather her and then we'd tell her to tip her head back then we'd put either a wash cloth or our hand on her forehead to shield her eyes then we'd use a cup to rinse out her hair and were careful not to let it go past the hair line and were really careful on the sides. We'd give her a toy to play with and she had no problem with it. It was like a game to her. My six month old hates bath because he gets water in his ears every time so I started showering him and I use the method I just mentioned to rinse his hair and he's all smiles. HTH, GL!
    ATG499

Answer by ATG499 at 3:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2009