• In the Spotlight:

about water breaking as a "trickle" - can it just trickle occasionally, rather than keeping on soaking your undies?

If it does it the trickle way and not the gush, can it be hard to tell for sure for awhile? Even if it's not common, is it possible? Like, it doesn't continue to trickle steadily, but just kinda does it if you are in a certain position or something so that you just think it's something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Totally possible. The water breaking can happen in several ways actually. One big "gush" followed by a constant flow, a sudden trickle or flow that continues, and I've even known a few women who said they would feel a lot of pressue and go to the bathroom and could push it out themselves. However, toward the end of a pregnancy apparently there is something else that can leak out in much smaller amounts overall (I was told this was normal) and some women mistake it for their water breaking. If it is enough to soak your panties and warrants the use of a pad, then it very well may be amniotic fluid. If not, then I would just call your doctor and describe what you are feeling and see if he/she thinks you should go in.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• yup very possible actually... i would ge into labour and delivery just in case its quite easy for them to check GL
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Mine was trickling and I thought it was just discharge because I couldnt really tell. I ended up waiting a whole day before going to the doctor to see if my water broke. Sure enough it did. They were kind of worried because it was over a day before i came to the hospital. They were afraid of infection. I would go to the doctor just in case.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I had to have my son by c-section 3 weeks early because they found out that my ambiotic fluid was very low. It seems that i must have been leaking very slowly since i went into pre-term labor at 5 months.

I never noticed anything strange and neither did my doctor.

so yes its possible.

Funny thing is i had just been in the hospital the night before because i thought i was going into labor early again(having cramps like contractions) and they didn't notice anything at the labor and delivery.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• thank you so much for your helpful answers!!
    Anonymous

• A way my OB told me to check was to pat yourself dry, put on clean panties with a fresh pad and then lay down for about a half hour, if your really leaking your amniotic fluid it shoud pool in the vagina and then soak the pad pretty quickly once you stand up. Or just go into the labor and delivery dept, they can swab your cervix and do a test to see if your water is actually leaking
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009