Its driving us Crazy ... We have twin 4 yr. old girls, but one has been acting up and having crazy tantrums.

She started with wanting a sweater a few weeks ago her twin sister took it off and gave it to her. Later on that week she cried over some sock I told her sister not to and she began to cry, did not talk and cried this is all before school. Recently she began to wet her self and she is fully potty trained. Will have a tantrum over silly things such as a bear, her wanting to sleep with someone or if we called her attention. We tried to take her favorite toy, time out til she stops crying, talking to her making her understand she wont get things for crying like that. It has not worked tantrums go for an hr. or until she falls asleep. Her screaming is scary. We have had to take her twin sister out of room and send her to sleep with older sister since the other continues to cry and scream. Any advice on how to stop this and make her not cry. HELP !!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Keep with your punishments. Stick to your guns because consistancy is the only way she will learn she cannot get away with the behaviour. When she does something she shouldn't, don't over-react, just tell her, simply, NO and then take her to time-out or take her to her room(taking the toy or object that she isn't allowed to have) and say nothing along the way. And while she is in time-out have her sister somewhere else. If it happens at night, Let her cry herself to sleep if you have to like you did, let your other daughter sleep in the other room and when your child calms, you can move her sister back in their room. (it's no fair she has to leave for the whole night) I hope things get better for you. This too shall pass... it really will! :)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Is there something new going on in your lives? Children take stress differently and she may be acting out because of it. If there is none, try giving her one on one time, when she is not acting out. Maybe she feels neglected or is just not getting enough attention. Try spending time with JUST her and see how that works out. I agree with using consistency, but you also have to help her not to feel like she is alone and hated. So try doing that and maybe just talking to her about how she feels (I know they cant express much). I hope this help!
    youngmom20

Answer by youngmom20 at 1:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I've noticed through experience with my children that they sometimes "act up" because of several reasons. The two that come to mind at this moment is if they are not feeling well or something happened in their immediate lives that they can't deal with without some reassurance by you after of course finding out what is really bothering them. Since they are little they don't always know how to solve their own problems all the time. This in turn can trigger them to act out in such a way that isn't their usual selves.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2009