If you had only $200 for 2 weeks of groceries...

to feed 3 kids (2 boys ages 10 and 12 and daughter age 5), hubby and yourself, plus 2 cats, and that is to include household items like laundry detergent, dishwasher liquid, etc, what would be your "go-to" dishes? Keep in mind they have to be low-fat, low-sodium which knocks out 99% of all convenience foods. We usually spend $325 for 2 weeks of groceries but due to bills we don't have enough for more than $200 this paycheck. We also go through 1/2 gallon of milk a day, and can only buy 99% lean ground turkey and boneless skinless chicken breast or whole chickens to roast.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:02 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd buy a whole chicken, a big one. You can eat it for one meal, make stock from the carcass for soup (simmer the carcass in water with onions, carrots, celery, the longer the better, then strain the liquid - best stock ever) or make chicken pot pie with the left overs. And pasta is always cheap. We do a pasta dish where we toss the noodles with a balsalmic vinegarette salad dressing, garlic, parmesan (fresh is best, but the kraft stuff will do) and diced tomatos. Add a salad and french bread and you have a great meal.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I'd clip coupons & shop for items that were onsale & that I had a coupon for. You can save TONS that way. I know of a lady that fed a family of 4 for a YEAR on $800 doing that. Yes... $800/YEAR. Might not be "my brand" or low-sodium/fat, but I'd niche that rule for the next two weeks & get enough food to feed everyone.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• go with lots of fruit, vegetables and pastas, if you make a soup, wiht the meat pasta and vegetables, buy bread and itll last a while. kinda like after thanksgiving,.
    as for the cat... buy cheap cat food , its should last at least 2 months...... dont get any frozen stuff except vegetables. they last awhile. and buy wats only on sale.
    and if you still dont have enough, you and the hubby can sacrifice a meal aday... good for losing waight . ive had to dot hat before.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• www.hillbillyhousewife.com

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 12:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• We are Vegetarian so I am not much help on meat and dairy. But our budget is 400 a month for food. Some of our staple foods are potatoes, rice and whole wheat spaghetti. They are low cost and make several meals. Hope that helps :)
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Sorry Laura1229, I can't niche the low-fat low-sodium thing at all, I have gallbladder problems and if I get off the diet I'll end up back at the ER. But I do clip coupons and save about $20 every shopping trip. My commissary wont' allow using more than 1 coupon on 1 item, like it used to. I used to have like a coupon for $1 off of 2 Kelloggs cereals, then have a 50 cents off a Kellogg cereal and just get 2 cereals for $1.50 off but now they won't do that. But coupons are a GREAT idea, I'll have to look online for some.

I also love the soup idea, I made some great chicken noodle soup the other day that was fairly healthy but not low sodium I just can't eat much of it. I already eat under 1200 calories a day, so i can't go any lower by eliminating meals of my own either, and hubby only eats breakfast or lunch, and then dinner. Seldom all 3 meals. Kids also get reduced school lunch which helps.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Since we have already been trough the same. What we do is have the same dish every day for the two weeks. We did eat less but we got to do what we got to do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Some very good suggestions on here so far, thanks ladies!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• tostadas,ranch style eggs,tuna-noodles and peas
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• oh yeah stir fry tofu or chicken and steamed rice
    Newbegginings04