Maybe a touchy question about death?

Hi, my grandmother is in the hospital. She was on dialysis. Thursday not she signed a dnr and they didnt give her the dialysis. She went to sleep and has not woke up since. Her lungs a full of fluid, she barely has a pulse and the dr said friday that they didnt expect her to make it through the night especially since all her organs have shut down. Just says her heart is still strong. I am going insane. I don't understand why she is still hanging on if she was ready to go. Am I just over analyzing and driving myself crazy? I don't want her to suffer anymore.

dolphinkisses

Asked by dolphinkisses at 12:27 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Health

• have you told her how much you love her?,tell her b4 she leaves all she has taught you and your dreams!
    gaurdianangels

Answer by gaurdianangels at 12:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I'm so sorry about your Grandmother. I would talk to her, let her know that you are ok & that you understand she is leaving. Let her know that it is ok if she leaves whenever she needs to. Make sure other family members have a chance to say goodbye as well. If you are part of a church or religious group, have your pastor/rabbi/priest/etc come in to pray.

If you are worried about her suffering, talk to the doctor about morphine. Most doctors will prescribe heavy dosages for dying patients. You can also call Hospice as they can help her achieve death with the least amount of suffering.

Again, I am so sorry & I wish you family all the best as you go through this.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• If you are worried about her suffering, talk to the doctor about morphine. Most doctors will prescribe heavy dosages for dying patients
    ---------------------------------
    Not true, anyway..........the body can live almost ten days or longer after coma onset or taken off mechanical means. It's her choice, it's a natural process. I think by now though, she has passed. God bless.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• my grandmother had colon cancer and was told she had hours to live they even sent in a priest to give last rites. Well she lived almost a year after that. Medicine is not an exact science.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree, talk to her. My mom seemed to be holding on too and we could not understand why. She finally let go when we were all in the room with her together and prayed with her. Once we had prayed with her we told her it was ok to go and that we would be ok. She then had this peace that came over her and she let go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• ((HUGS)). I'm so sorry. My own grandmother passed away just last week under similar circumstances. I hope she is able to pass peacefully.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My grandmother was just like that. She was in ICU while I was pregnant and signed a DNR. Dr's gave her days to live and she surpassed every day they gave her. I visited her everyday and would rub and massage her hands, arms and legs and we would talk about old times but she was usually sleeping unresponsively. When she was awake she would rub and hold my belly and tell me she was waiting on the babies. I went into labor Nov. 7 and my mom immediately rushed pictures to show her since we were in the same hospital. I was released from ICU Nov 13 and visited her the 14th and she woke to tell me thank you for giving her gorgeous great-grand babies. I gave her a hug and kiss and told her how much I loved her and she passed later that night. She saw pics of her great g-babies but I truly believe she was waiting for me. I think she needed closure to go.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

---------------------------------

Not to hijack this post, but I was with my Great-Aunt, Grandpa, Grandma, & Dad when they died & each was on morphine at the end. It is a personal decision made by the family & the physician but I don't appreciate you giving me a blanket "not true" comment when your comment is not correct either.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009