did you buy into baby einstein?

Ok, news flash sitting your kids in front of a TV doesn't make them smarter.
Disney admits it, and offers to replace up to 4 dvds, or give your money back.
http://www.commercialexploitation.org/babyeinsteinrefund.html

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was given a bunch of Baby Einstein before my first kid was born, so we watched them. I found them irritating, and neither of my kids cared about them for more than a couple of minutes.

So off to donation they went. I never believed they did all that, but if they gave the kids some music, and the kid enjoyed it, I would have stifled my irritation and let them watch it.

My kids prefer music. They love listening to my ipod.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My son is just starting singing by looking at the TV. I would guess that is a marketing tactic from part of Disney.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• DUH LOL
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• No, not really. We bought the Noah's Ark one and he liked the music and would fall asleep to it, but once he hit about 4 months he was over it.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I have Baby Einstein books and flash cards. I also have a CD, but no movies. Not planning on getting the movies either. Educational books and flash cards will work just fine, IMO.
    ATG499

Answer by ATG499 at 3:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• are they really offering a refund!!! If so...YAY!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I didn't buy them to make my child smarter. Obviously sitting them in front of the TV isn't the answer, but add a parent talking about what is on the TV (colors, objects, animals) does help them learn. Of course those of you parents who put it on and left the room should get your money back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• People who think that movies make kids smart should not be parents. I love the classical music what they use in Baby Einstein movies. My son is almost 4 and he loves classical music.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• We're huge Baby Einstein fans here. I have at least 15 of their cd's and I downloaded them onto my daughter's ipod. She loves classical music, and the "tone" of the Baby Einstein music seems to be the best for her. It's kind of peppier than other classical cd's that I have.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 7:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I had to give away the Baby Einstein movies to get my daughter (by that time she was nearly 2) to watch something else! The only ones that I bought were the ones that taught sign lanuguage....and yes she did learn a LOT from them. I also played them in the different languages, which taught her a third way to say things. I'd definitely buy them again. By the way....she rarely just watched the movies, but instead had me reinforcing the signs in my interactions with her. My duaghter knew all her colors, shapes, & ABCs/123s before she hit 2. She is not what I call a genius, she just has people around her who are willing to reinforce the ideas she learns (something that is crucial at every age and stage).
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 7:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2009