My son stopped eating because of stress! Help!

My husband just went to another state across the country to work. My 4 year old son has stopped eating and lost hunger it seems. I expected him to act out (which he has done), but not this! I dont really know what to do!

youngmom20

Asked by youngmom20 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Poor little guy. It must be really hard for him. I take it that your husband leaving for work is a new thing? I would give him lots of extra attention and make sure that he knows and understands that daddy is coming back real soon. I really wish I had some better advice for you and him but really I don't know. Just make sure he knows that he is loved and that daddy did it because he had to and not because he wanted to. Maybe a phone call would help. Or help him draw a picture and write a note for DH. Helping him to express his feelings is really the best thing for him right now.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I guess get advice from his doctor. Is your son special needs? I'm a military spouse and I've never heard of any kids that I know stopping eating when dad leaves..
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Also, maybe you could do webcams and dad could eat dinner on the webcam while your son eats his, that way they are eating together?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My son did that when we had to put him in daycare because i started working - It took a long time to get him to eat there! All i can say is just keep tryn eventually he will give in. I talked to my son's pedi and he said eventually he will give in to hunger and eat! My son gave in okay- huh! All he wants is juice i have to limit him!
    DDove

Answer by DDove at 11:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I too would ask his pediatrician for advice on how to handle the situation, but natural human instinct will eventually take over before he starves. His Dr. might suggest just for a short time trying his favorite foods to encourage him to eat. Not necessarily candy and chips all the time, but maybe let him live off mac and cheese, or hot dogs, or whatever his favorite food is that we as parents typically deem not the most nutritious. If he really isn't eating at all then some food, even if not "healthy" is going to be better then no food. Also push milk and water for liquids and not juice since milk and water have more vitamins and nutrition. And as someone else already stated finding a way for your son to better show his feelings. He seems to be at a loss of the correct way to deal with his sadness, anger, whatever it is he's feeling. By showing him the correct way, writing notes, drawing pictures etc he may begin eating again
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009