How do you new moms juggle going back to work and still taking care of the house and baby?

Mrs.DelQuadro

Asked by Mrs.DelQuadro at 3:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm in the military (navy). It really sucked in the beginning. My house was a mess. You really have to enlist the help of your husband/SO in the beginning. And you need to let certain things go...like having a spotless house. Not going to happen unless you neglect something more important (like your SO or your baby!).

I love a quote that says: A house should be clean enough to be healthy and messy enough to be happy.

That really says it all to me. :-) Still, sometimes it'll be overwhelming, but you'll find a routine and schedule that'll fit for you. And some days, you're just going to have to ignore the laundry and play with your baby. A baby grows up very quickly, a messy house isn't going anywhere.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 3:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i like that saying. well put!
    Mrs.DelQuadro

Answer by Mrs.DelQuadro at 3:30 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I work full time, have an 8 month old, a husband, and a place to take care of. I do cleaning everyday for an hour after my daughter goes to bed. That is what helps. My husband is really helpful also. Sometimes I will get home from work and he has cleaned!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 6:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• You need to work this out with your husband before you decide to have a baby together...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Step one: Don't think about it! :)

A messy house isn't the end of the world and as you adjust to getting back to work, you'll get into a routine and learn to include baby in your work. When cleaning dishes, I would strap my daughter into her high chair and let her watch. I'd talk to her about what I was doing and she enjoyed it. As she got older, she would stand on a stool and help me wash her plastic dishes. When younger you can get a carrier and use that while vacuuming or sweeping, etc. Play peekabo while doing folding laundry. Just make it fun so chores are a bonding experience for you and baby. Hubby helps out too, so that helps as well. Even if it's just him watching/boding with baby while I get some stuff done or vise versa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It seem so daunting at first but like the other said eventually you get into a routine. I follow a few rules now. First I don't let it get to me id the house isn't perfect. Also, set limits for yourself with the amount of time you spend after baby goes to bed on house stuff, it won't seem so bad if i you have some me time after. As my DD got older it was easier to include her in things like laundry and dishes and cleaning. You just have to keep telling yourself you are superwoman and a supermom...it's corny but there is nothing wrong with a little ego boost when you need to.

lubell1217

Answer by lubell1217 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Flylady.net has GREAT routines that WORK. But I also prioritized...and the house is a minor priority.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009