How do I know just how far along I am?

My doc said that I got pregnant around Aug. 3rd but my mother-in-law believes that with my ultrasound I conceived somewheres around July 15th thru July 26th. My ultrasound says that I was 8 weeks and a day on Sept. 15th. So how far am I really? Is that how long I have been pregnant or is it just a reference date? What I don't understand is that I had my period from July 20th thru 27th. So is it possible that I wasn't far enough for my body to pick it up yet or is my doctor right?

jessica222009

Asked by jessica222009 at 5:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The presence of a period indicates your doc is closer to right. But all anyone can do is guess. Neither ultrasounds nor pregnancy wheels are 100%.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Does it really matter? Really, come on. You are pregnant, You will have the baby in the late spring. That's all that matters.

Answer by louise2 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• when they say that you are 8 weeks pregnant, that means that you got pregnant 6 weeks ago because that is just the way doctors and other providers calculate pregnancy. you are actually 2 weeks pregnant at conception. but really the doctor is just guessing. =) what you can do is not get induced and let your baby come naturally, that way you don't have to worry about having a preterm baby :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2009