What does it mean to put your God first, above all others?

I'm not sure why, but this idea doesn't sit well with me. (And I guess is partly why I am an atheist) Can someone explain how this works....does it mean that when your child is sick, and you need to go to church service, that you still go; or do you stay home with your child?
Does this mean, when you are having a marital problem or feel disconnected from your spouse, that you continue to spend more time worshipping your God than working on your marriage?
I truly am asking, as I'm not sure what exactly this means.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think maybe you are considering the superficial meaning to "putting God first". if one (imo) were truly trying their best to live a life God would be proud of and as he wished, a mom would stay home with a sick child. she can worship at home at any time, a child is a gift from God as a mother she is given the responsibility to care for it. if you had marital problems you would apply Christian principles and teaching to your spouse and marriage to get things working again and that in and of itself is a form of worship because at one time you promised to make it work, and God loves families and wants to see them successful, so abandoning a marriage for worship would be going against what God wants for you.

Ya know, "worshipping" doesn't take all day, it's not like we dress up and stand in front of some sacred place to "worship" all the time leaving all else behind. A Christian can worship in just seconds anytime anyplace.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I think that when I am worshiping my family I am in a way worshiping God, the need of my love ones always comes first, God is in any and everything I do. I don't think you need to divide your love between one and the other.

Answer by older at 8:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• imo, what it means basically is to live a life that is Godly in all that you do everyday. applying God's principles to everything that you do all day everyday, not sitting in a pew for 12 hours while the family goes unattended and life is suspended.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• no..when an xtian puts God first in their life, it simply means they acknowledge God as the maker/coordinator/orchestrator/etc of their life. by taking care of your family, you honor God..as a wife, a mother, a sister, a daughter, or even a honest worker.
    1 Corinthians 10:31 (New International Version):
    ''So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.''
    its not as simple as going to church when all is falling around you, be it illness, marital problems, etc. its about that darned 'on-going relationship' that holds it all together for a believer. see, for the xtian that is in constant communication with God, its not even a matter of who comes first..God is always there; there's no 'dropped call-zone'. sure, some people may stay away from church when having family problems (that's a personal thing); others draw nearer to God, for strenght and wisdom, to discern their next step.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:27 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Op- I think you got some good answers, and for the most part I agree with them. I will also add- putting God first is a way that I take care of myself. As a busy mom and wife with a stressful life (really stressful), it is important that I take care of me so that I can take care of my family. I will admit that there have been times in my life where I did not put God first- and (surprise surprise) things spiraled out of control for me. When I make sure my spirituality is in order, everything else is easier to tend to.

So no, I would not leave a sick child to go to church, but I would certainly pray over that child. If my marriage was in trouble- the first thing I would do is take it to the Lord- it doesn't take long to pray.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:25 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I have left my child at home with my husband if they are sick. We go to church in shifts. We just got over the swine flu. My husband and a child was sick. I left them at home and went to church.

Putting God first (IMO) means putting God's will first. Doing as God wants you to do. God certainly doesn't want you to leave a sick infant at home. You can pray at home to Him. I hope this helps.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree with jewjewbee
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 11:15 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It is choosing the imaginary over the real. Giving more importance to what you BELIEVE is there (the god you have never seen nor heard nor had evidence of) than to what you KNOW is there (your family, your country, and your life). It's a convenient excuse for being a bad parent and bad human being (the "this is what god expects of me" crap). We know, you and I. But it will be interesting to see what excuses they come up with.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Here is a practical example, putting into practice what is in God's word. Example: love your enemies. It simply means to treat them with the same kindness and respect that you would give to a friend. This doesn't mean lie down and become their doormat, nor does it mean that we are to excuse or enable their behavior in any way. It just means that we are not to exhange evil for evil. Let the hate end with them, do not keep it going by trying to "show them how it feels". Sometimes this is very hard to do. (cont.)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• (cont. from above) When someone is insulting or rude it brings out my sarcastic streak like nothing else. It just itches to come out verbally. I struggle with God while I'm battling the temptation to lash out. When you yield to the Holy Spirit the peace and blessing He brings cannot compare to any temporary satisfaction I would have recieved by striking back. There are many ways to put God first this is one example.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2009