My son is 4 years old and he in my opinion has all the classic symptoms of ADHD but I won't get no relief for me until he's in school or 6 years old, I'm living a total nightmare with him and nothing helps.Time outs are ineffective and he can be very disrespectful to me until I'm at nmy wits end with this boy.Does anybody else have this problem or am I alone in this adventure from seem like the crazy house?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 8:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• What exactly does he do? It might be normal four year old stuff.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 8:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Just because you don't have an official diagnosis yet doesn't mean you can't help your child now. To start, contact a child therapist to learn how to implement approrpriate behavioral management/intervention techniques at home. A behavioral management program should be the first step prior to trying medications anyway. And you might also want to consider making some dietary changes to try to reduce or even possibly eliminate some behavioral symptoms. I've seen the combo of behavioral management & diet changes do wonders for many, many children.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Sounds like what most 4 year olds do. There's no magic pill for that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Have you tried spanking him? Disrespect is a spankable offense, and it is highly effective. At the age of 4, your son is perfectly capable of understanding that he is to be obedient to and respectful of his mother. You tell him once what you want. If he does not immediately obey, you give him 2 or 3 swats on his bare leg or behind. You must strike him hard enough that he feels the sting, but lightly enough so as not to really harm him. If you will do that consistently, you will see remarkable changes in his behavior and in his attitude toward you. I would not be too quick to label him as having a disorder, because it sounds to me like he is only exercising his ability to hold you hostage. I would certainly give spanking a chance to correct his attitudes and behaviors before assuming he has anything else wrong with him.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Please don't put your child on meds. My son just turned 4yrs. old and yes, he is non-stop. He needs you and you have to guide him to learn and not to be bored. Get him out of the house like riding a bike or just taking a walk. Does he play on the computer? They have great sites for their little minds to learn. Most four yr. olds are wanting to know how things work and they are doing things for themselfs now. My son will tune into something like for 5 minutes and do something else. Busy Busy he is. Read to him do things with your son. I have a huge Saint Bernard puppy and a 4yr. old and yes, it's crazy here too. LOL... Try humor with your son instead of getting upset. Your son doesn't know better... meaning he is busy and trying to figure things out. Yes, it can be crazy , but you can laugh about it after the day is done... 17hrs. later.... Good luck!
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Nanny B.... come on... I would be scared of you.... You must spank alot... You need help lady bug to spank your child like your saying you do..... Your child must run from you... I know I would...
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Okay, I normally don't answer these, but I have 2 sons with ADHD and my oldest was diagnosed right before he turned 5. But on top of the ADHD he also has ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) which would make him strike out at those in authority. I dealt with it for years before it was finally something managable. He is now 10 and know when he has crossed the line.
    If you think your son may have ADHD, please go to your primary doctor and ask for a referal to a psychologist to be tested. Honestly the sooner you know, the sooner you can start helping your son get a handle on everything. Before school is better so you will be able to talk with his teachers and make them aware of what is happening with your son.
    Stacymt3b

Answer by Stacymt3b at 9:19 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Call your local health dept and ask them if they have any resources for you.. My son is also 4 and was exhibiting symptoms of ADHD and I called them and they put me in touch with a therapist who offered play therapy. We have been doing that for a month and I have noticed a huge difference in his behavior. Also try cutting out all red dye, processed sugars and things like that.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:20 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• If your son is truly ADHD, he cant help it and you getting frustrated with him only makes it worse. I have been dealing with my son with ADHD for 5 years now. The best thing I have learned is patience, redirection and praise. Children still love to please their parents, find things to praise him on, it builds his self -esteem and he will try to continue to do better if he knows "mommy is watching and loves when I do ABC or D". Imagine trying to do something when the channel in your head changes every few seconds or minutes. It is very frustrating for kids with ADHD because they cant do what they really want with out our help. You can read my journal post" Things are looking up" I explain what I did and how much it has helped him. When he gets upset, DO NOT TALK TO HIM AT THAT TIME, he does not hear you, tell him its ok to be upset etc, and to go to his quiet place until calm, then when he returns talk to him.. PM me.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I have one son who has ADD & the other ADHD & Asperger's syndrome #1 get the book 1-2-3 Magic read it & do what it says #2 check out www.CHADD.org #3 be consistent with him ALWAYS.......He needs to know what punishment is going to happen if he misbehaves (see #1) #4 have a routine for him all the time, routines are very helpful for these kids. My youngest has a morning chart for him to get ready (same routine everyday, whether it is a school day or not) & he also has a bedtime chart (again same routine whether it is a school night or not) #5 give him caffeine, if he really does have AD(H)D that the caffeine will actually calm him down #6 give him clear short as possible instructions. if he is naughty tell him why he has to sit in time out in the shortest possible way...if you say too much to them you lose them they will zone out 

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2009