Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome?

Has anyone had this or currently have it? If you have had it, how do you relieve it? It tubal reversal the only way to relieve it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Health

• There's another name for it also, can't remember right now. I think the therapy that is currently recommended is endometrial ablation. A reversal will not correct the scar tissue problem.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• PTLS has nothing to do with scar tissue PP. It is caused by the cut off blood flow to the ovaries. OP, I have had PTLS and it was relieved by a tubal reversal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• curious- what exactly are we talking here? symptoms? i have experienced several abnormal occurrences since my tubal (about 2 years ago)... i was warned beforehand that there were some possible complications, but at the time i just took the statistics and moved on. it was a matter of necessity, and had to be done (not for medical purposes- for personal, it honestly saved my life)

anyway, now i am questioning if i should consider having it reversed (for a # of reasons), but that it may help ease my symptoms...

have any more info? really curious now.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• To the PP, symptoms. I have Migraines all the time, periods are very painful, very heavy and last twice as long. I have nausea and vomiting a week before my period. I have horrible mood swings, I am way more irritable, and have absolutely no sex drive. Normally, I would learn to deal with something like this, but, some of the things listed above are ruining my marriage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• OP
    take the recommendation of 9:51 and LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT. OKAY?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Here's a link to PTLS symptoms:

http://members.tripod.com/~sterilization_rights/Symtoms_PTS.html

I personally had my tubal 3 years ago and had issues with very heavy periods, very painful cramps, passing clots, soaking a super tampon in 1 - 2 hours (needing a pad as backup). But I didn't have any of the symptoms mentioned at the site I googled. I can't even say for sure that my issues were caused by my tubal because I'd had heavy periods even as a teen and cramps where I'd stay home from school because of them. So while it could have had something to do with my tubal, it could also have been that for the first time in 15 years or so I wasn't on hormonal bc, pregnant, bf'ing and having regular (in terms of timing) periods. I did end up having an ablation because I couldn't stand another 10 - 15 years of periods like that, and I've been pretty happy with it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• New studies are showing that PTLS symptoms are like the symptoms you would have associated with a regular period which are often relieved by the Birth Control Pill. After having your tubes tied you no longer need the pill and your body goes back to a state where you would have these premenstrual and menstrual symptoms. While other specialists have said that women who typically have this procedure are very close to peri-menopausal and pre-menopausal age these symptoms are normal. Cauterization of the tubes can result in an occassional loss of blood flow to an ovary, not both, while reversals may cause the tubes to be back in tact it does nothing to resume blood flow that was destroyed during cautery leaving the theory that lack of blood flow being the cause null and void as reversal cannot treat or cure that, relieved symptoms were not related to blood flow. A woman on the pill for 20 yr has not had PMS symptom till post BTL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• http://www.tubal-reversal.net/blog/2008/tubal-ligation-reversal/pain-after-tubes-tied-ptls.html
    Most doctors have been taught that no such entity as PTLS exists, much to the exasperation of women who are suffering from symptoms that began after a tubal sterilization. This series of blog articles will allow individuals to report about their personal experiences and case histories. Then, articles from the medical literature will be reviewed and discussed. Hopefully, this approach will help explain the discrepancy between what individual women have experienced and what medical doctors think about this complex subject. I encourage both patients and medical professionals to contribute their insights and opinions to this important series of articles.

Gary S. Berger, MD

Tags: anxiety, chapel hill tubal reversal center, children, conceive, decreased sex drive,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I had a tubal in 1996 and that's when my "drama" started.. I can honestly tell you that I was just a regular person before doing this and after I have become increasingly anxious, irritable, depressed. I have had a lot of emotional issue that I attribute solely to the tubal. I was pregnant in 1995.. I didn't have a computer and the internet was not all that much to speak of then in the way of being an information super highway. If I was considering this today I would have been able to find thousands of stories of these types of things happening to other women and would surely have chosen a different path. All any doctor has ever done is brush me off. In the beginning they called it postpartum and now I am just treated like the millions with mental issues. After so many years dealing with this and my family watching this all happen to me I have seriously considered a tubal reversal, but the cost is too much for me.
    Good luck.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Before you have endometrial ablation, check the inforamtion (or lack thereof) regarding Post Ablation syndrome. IF you ahve had a tubal prior to ablation, your chances increase. Not fun... not at all...
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 10:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2010