not enough room..

My DH and I want to have #3 however we live in a small 3 bdrm 1 bath ranch. My other children are much older girl- 13 and boy- 11, so they have no interest in sharing a room nor would I think that was fair to even ask them. We could move, however we love our house and where we live. Not sure what to do.. any suggestions besides adding on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Well either move or don't have another one. Wish I had a better answer, but you are right, it's not fair to ask your older children to share a room with a newborn. Only other thing you can do is to keep the baby in your room untill the oldest moves out.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Just a thought but my mother is 1 of 19 children and lived in a 2 bedroom (1000 sq foot) home...so I think that your kids can share.

When did it happen that it was a kids 'right' to have their own space rather than a priveledge?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• OP here... wow Jade 1 of 19 that is wonderful! Thank you... We were thinking of letting the little one stay in our room for a yr or so and then we'll see what happens. I do believe in the idea of a small house means a closer family. If we have to add on we'll add on but we'll see. Not having another child is not an option unless we are unable to concieve.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I know you said you didn't want to add on, but I think that would be the best idea. Either that or build another wall to seperate space you already have. Or if you have a dining room or some other extra room you could build walls to turn it into a nursery
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Well if you are hell bent on having another child, and you won't move, then add on. I still stand by the fact that it's not fair to your older children to have to share their rooms with a toddler, especially since they haven't had to share a room in years.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• If moving or adding on are not options, then you need to look for other spaces in your home that would make an acceptable nursery. When I had my last child, I lost my dining room. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Do you have any basement or attic space you can convert into a bedroom for one of the other children, if you don't want to add on? If you really want to stay there, you'll find a creative way to make it work.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It's not adding on but it is a little work. If you have an attached garage that is accessable from inside the house, you can easily convert half of that into an awesome room for your 13 yr. old. I have seen that done many times. And it's not difficult to convert back if you ever need to sell the house either. Just a thought.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• great idea ladies.. thank you!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Oct. 29, 2009