My 3 month old wakes up a lot in the night. He wants be me to hold him. Any ideas on how I can break this the quickest?

karruda

Asked by karruda at 9:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is three months old! He is probably hungry. My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours and about 14 months when she was sleeping through the night on a regular basis.
    A co-sleeper kept me from dying from sleep deprivation in those early months; it was so easy to go back to sleep while she nursed.
    Good luck, and enjoy your little one!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• if he is waking up to feed then I would hold him...soon there will come a time when he will not let you hold him...for the first year, this is a reoccuring theme for them...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Shouldn't of had a kid if you didn't want to take care of him

It's wonderful being pregnant and all the attention is on you but once the kid comes, you are no longer the hot item and must actually have some responsibility
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It's normal for babies to wake up at night and want their mothers to hold them. It's hard wired in infant's brains to make sure they are close to their mothers at night for safety. If they aren't close they cry to warn their mothers so the mother will pick the baby up and provide warmth and safety. Babies brains still work that way even though we live in a modern society.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:10 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• What he is asking for is still a NEED not a WANT. He's 3 months old, he needs to be touched by you.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It perfectly normal, my 7 month old still wakes up and wants to be held. What I do is just go get him and bring him into my bed. I know people talk down about co-sleeping but semi-co-sleeping works best for us. He likes to be close to me and I like to be close to him. He feels safe and I know he is safe.
    As far as how to break it, I don't think there is a way, not that early on anyway. When DS was 3 months old he would get up at least 3 or 4 times everynight, now we are down to 1. I know it is rough, but that is what being a mother is, providing for baby no matter what time day or night. Don't worry Momma, this too will pass.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• hon, i know you may not want to hear it- but he's just a baby. the only thing that he KNOWS is when i cry, i get love, warmth, milk... like Gaill said, it is completely hardwired into their existence.

i'll admit first hand, how hard it is when they are so young, and you just want to sleep. if you're bottle feeding, keep a pre-measured bottle of water & formula ready (they make neat little containers for the formula so that you don't spill!) so that when he wakes up, you just dump & shake. if you're BF, then keep him close, or maybe think about a co-sleeper (you can get one online the cheapest).

whatever you do, don't resent him for waking up wet, dirty or hungry. or just scared because he is alone... being in the big mean outside world is hard on them!
    i had my dd when i was 16, and it was rough... but we made it. i was 20 & 22 when i had my boys... regardless of age/knowledge, we're all moms... *hug* go take a nap!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• He needs you to hold him. Hold him. Hold him every chance you get, even when's it's 2 am and you were having a good dream. Honestly, that's the quickest way to get him through this. Give him what he needs.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• co-sleep. Our bed is crazy but in the mornings when hubby got up for work he would bring DS to me (he woke up around that time) to nurse and then I would keep him in my bed. I loved that special time together! I never had to "break" him of it because he was used to falling asleep in his own bed so once he started sleeping through the night he just stayed in his bed all night long.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• um feed him and hold him ??? what are we breaking him of being a baby ? seriously ?
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 11:16 AM on Oct. 26, 2009