Seasonal allergy relief?

I have a 13 month old who appears to have seasonal allergies. He gets a runny nose, cough, wheezing everytime I do (usually in conjuction with a weather front coming through/rain). He is on Pulmicort 2x daily and Xopenex as needed, which help, but do not eliminate the cough. They haven't tested for Asthma at this point. I wish we could avoid the allergens altogether, but he's an OUTSIDE kid. We keep an air filter in his room. Is there any kind of relief for kids this age?

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 9:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to your pediatrician about Singulair. It comes in little packets of sprinkles for little kids. My daughter used them when she was around a year old. I just sprinkled them in her food at dinnertime. It worked great. Good luck!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Have no idea what the meds are that you listed but we give Zyrtec and Mucinex...also, giving him locally grown honey will help his system become more resilient to pollen...we give 1 T of honey 3 times a day and so far her symptoms are lessening BUT make sure that your doc approves honey at this age!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I can't remember how old they were when they started taking it, but my kids take children's Claritin for allergies. Helps with coughing, runny nose, all of it. You'd need to check with his ped to find out if he can take it, and what dose he can take, but my kids ped is the one who had me start them on it, and it's over the counter now, so it's probably cheaper than a prescription.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:54 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• What kind of products do you use in your home? I use all natural products. Many store bought products contain chemicals that may be making his allergies worse. You may want to consider switching to all natural products. Check this link out. http://www.switchingstores.com/ecarrillo
    Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 10:01 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Try eliminating dairy.

Switching cleaning products is a great idea, but you don't have to spend more money:

This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Raw honey made from the type of plant(s) he is allergic to, about 1 tablespoon a day (although more won't hurt).
    Larix - Best stuff I have EVER found. You can find it at your local health food store. It helps heal the lungs and stops coughing. There have been studies that show it does such a great job with the lungs that it can rebuild lung tissue in cancer patients. It is safe for any age (newborn on up) and has no chemicals. I started using it about 4 years ago when I was using my inhaler several times a day. Now, not only have I not needed my inhaler at all (in 4 years), I haven't even need to take Larix (except for a cold here and there) in about 3 years. It is all I give my kids when they are coughing and it takes about 10-15 minutes to work, and lasts a couple hours.
    Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2009