Has anyone ever experienced a "Code Yellow"?

Ladies, I had the most horrifying experience yesterday...I was in Kohl's looking at my dream vacuum cleaner (yes, I dream of clean LOL) and the sales assoc. came out w/ the box for it. I looked down at my 2-year-old by my side, looked up at the guy, then looked back down and she was GONE! It was literally a matter of 3 secs! The sales assoc. called "Code Yellow" over the intercom and ppl (including myself) began mad dashing around the store. I even ran to the parking lot w/ this image in my head that someone had taken her. WORST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME!!! I was about to break down into hysterics when they cancelled the Code Yellow over the intercom. I marathon sprinted to the front, and there she was. Please don't bash, I NEVER thought that this could happen to me. i am always so careful and precautious. This was supposed to be an in-and-out trip so I bypassed the cart option. Lesson learned.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It happens. Even the most attentive person can lose track of their toddler/child in a public place. It is the most terrifying thing, I can imagine, but it does happen a lot more often then people think. That doesn't mean that you're a bad mom, or that you don't watch your child either. It only means that your toddler is crafty and quick, and even a few seconds leaves them miles ahead of you in another direction. Children have a knack for sneaking away from their parents, especially if they're in a new place and want to explore.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• This is why we used a harness (leash) when we had a toddler. We never lost her; she never dashed into the street.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Hey, it happens. She probably hadn't gone too far. My husband had this happen. Dumb dumb wasn't paying attention and *I told him* I was taking her to look at the toys and he even said "OK" but he wasn't paying attention. And next think I know I think I hear him and say to my daughter "Did you hear daddy? Let's go see where he is?" and some guy next to me goes (really snotty too!) "he's looking for you" and I didn't realize what was going on at that point. I got to him and he was paniced. "I didn't know you had her" blah blah. I felt bad then but looking back I think it was a good lesson for him. They didn't call it over the intercom, but all the associates were looking. Whether I took her or not, he still should have been paying more attention!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yes rkoloms, I had mixed feelings about the harness before this incident...I definately have a newfound respect for the idea! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• knock on wood but I have been lucky to never had this happen to me personally. However I work in retail and we have one or two a week. Kids are fast and don;t let anyone say you should have watched your child better cause it happens to a lot of people.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Years ago when I was in college, I worked at Target. We used to have a "code yellow" about every other day. It happens pretty frequently. Kids are kids, they wander off. Luckily, stores have systems like that in place so that every employee is on the look out for your kid.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Thanks for your understanding pagirl71... I was expecting the nasty comments like "You should be watching your child!" to come flying at me. Phew! Guess the meanies are off today! ;-)
    Anonymous

• no, but my dd knows not to run away. last time she did she got spank. she did it once and never did it again. she usually sits ion the stroller or she hold my hand if she doesnt want to hold my hand then she goes back in the stroller
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Anyone who bashes you on this point hasn't experienced the speed at which a child can vanish. I never take my 2 yr old into a store without his stroller because he's a "runner". The other day I was dropping him off for preschool and was waiting with him in the "great room". Another mom approached me to ask a question and blocked my view for a split second. When I looked around her, my son was gone. The other mom got a totally dumbfounded look on her face and said "he was just here". In that split second, he'd managed to get out of the room, down the hall and into the director's office. I can totally appreciate how easily it can happen.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Omg I can only imagine how you felt. I freak if they try to walk around the corner a step before me! Bless your poor heart!! And hers...Im sure she was wondering what all the commotion was about!
    K-e-r-i

Answer by K-e-r-i at 8:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2009