The New Doctor

I just took my dd to her 6mo check-up last week. The new dr. told me that she should be sleeping through the night by now and that I need to let her cry it out if she wakes up. DD is eating solids; cereal, fruit and veggies. And nurses about 7 times a day + one or two midnight nursings. My thought with my other two was that they slept through the night once they were eating more protein from meats and cheeses, and we aren't to that stage yet w/ this baby. What are your thoughts?

chjack123

Asked by chjack123 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One other thing to remember...doctors are not the law on how to raise your child...a doctor can reccomend/suggest things and times but it's still up to you to decide if you need to do them then...(such as weaning, giving up bottle/paci, sleeping thru the night) You do have the right to disagree with your doctor and even question them about why they suggest things.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• If she is nursing for comfort, then by all means let her CIO but if she is really feeding, then she needs to eat...
    it all comes down to you as a mother deciding what is best...the doctor is not there in the middle of the night and is giving you information based upon a general study...not all children are the same and need the same things...

If you feel that she should be sleeping thru the night, then do it.
    If you don't feel that way yet, then wait longer.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Could of options here. You can try nursing less often and encourage baby to eat more at each session and still do the foods. maybe she will start sleeping thorugh the night if you stretch out the night feedings. But all kids are different and maybe she just needs the extra feeds. Although, it's possible it's just habbit at this point and spreading them out could help change that. At six months, I think you're right not to introduce more complex foods just yet. While I have no problems with the cio method, if you are uncomfortable, then don't do it. Do what you feel your child wants/needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• True Jademom. I woul switch Dr. if I could actually, but since we are on Tricare(military insurance) it's this one or the other Peds Dr. who, I'm told, is anti-breast feeding.

chjack123

Answer by chjack123 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Generally at that age, babies do NOT need food in the middle of the night. If they are of healthy weight and proportions then it's not needed. But it all depends on what you want to do. Some babies wake up out of habbit, and if you don't like that habbit, then it's time to break it. But if you don't mind then leave it. But my best friends daughter is over 3 years old and she still wakes up in the middle of the night, still wants to be rocked to sleep or fall asleep with her parents. It's very rare to tell her it's bed time and for her to go to bed with no fuss. So it's all up to what you want
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• The doctor sounds like an idiot. My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours; she was 14 months when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis. Breastfed babies do get hungry more often and sometimes use the breast for comfort. Six months is too young for CIO! Wait until your baby is at least a year old.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It is completely up to you - not the Dr. And babies differ with their sleeping patterns - both of my kids were bf and dd slept through the night consistently when she was 2 months old, while ds is 10 months, eating solids of almost every kind, and still gets up 1,2, sometimes 3 times a night. I know that he CAN make it all night, because he has done it a few times, but he's my baby and if I want to comfort him and nurse him back to sleep, then I will :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Your doctor is an idiot, when the baby is ready for it she will start sleeping through the night. Personally i would ignore the doctors advice and continue doing what you are doing now. If its possible i would be looking for a new doctor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2009