Baby bottom bright red, help

my son is 12 days old and constantly pooping or wetting at least every hour or 2 hours i change him, i started putting baby powder on his bum to keep it dry and starting the other day it begun to look really red. so i have been putting destin on his bum. Yesterday when i was sponge bathing him, it looked raw and a little little but of blood was on his wash cloth after wippign his bottom. Any suggestions to get it back to normal. I feel awful, should i stop with the ointment and use vaseline> or baby powder, I want to air it for him, but he poops to much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be yeast infection...call the doc, they can perscribe a cream to help with this...use the cream alternating every time with triple antibiotic ointment.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• butt paste.. try that
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 10:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• buy plain wipes at CVS and add warm water pat dry! he maybe allergic use petroleum jelly
    gaurdianangels

Answer by gaurdianangels at 10:58 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• use cloth diapers or chemical free at Toys Are Us!
    gaurdianangels

Answer by gaurdianangels at 11:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• could be the sterylic acid in the wipes? try putting a little tee tree oil wash in your babies bath to help it heal and not get infected!
    gaurdianangels

Answer by gaurdianangels at 11:01 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• it may be the type of diapers or wipes you are using, try changing them to see if it helps...if not call the doctor something else may be going on!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Sounds like a yeast infection - call the Doc to get a nystatin prescription. Also, if the wipes have any scents in them, try switching to "sensitive" wipes or just use a soft cloth rinsed in warm water.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i had the same problem. are you breast feeding or formula feeding? for me it was the formula but it started around 3 months of age. all of a sudden he kept pooping and his bottom was so horriable. we switched to soy formula per doctors order and we started using pampers unsented wipes. it cleared up in a few days. if you bf then try a different wipe the wipes may be making it worse.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 12:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• definintly sounds like a yeast infection of a reaction to the wipes my dd will break out if we use dollar store wipes but alk to yours ds doctor
    Redneckmomma19

Answer by Redneckmomma19 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My son had the same thing at 3 weeks. The Dr advised me to buy hydracortizone cream 1% and monistat cream and to mix them on my finger and then rub into the red area. Also, he recommended not to use baby powder, but t a very small amount of cornstarch works better. But definately call your Dr or local nurses' line and ask them!
    TrystansMom314

Answer by TrystansMom314 at 2:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2009