Would you keep a friend like this?

I've been friends with this person for 30 years, no joke. Our moms were best friends and we grew up together. The problem is, she can be SO mean sometimes. Over the weekend she made it known to me that the pretty girl she works with is now going to go out with a guy that she tried to fix me up with but turns out he wasn't that into me. That's all fine and good but why did she have to rub it in? I didn't need to know that info, it served no purpose other than to hurt my feelings. This isn't the first time something like this has happened with her, I guess I just feel like we have known each other so long I hate to just throw the "friendship" away. I've been trying to keep the negative out of my life as much as possible but I know if I just keep ignoring her calls she will know somethings up. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• Why not just tell her that you feel that this ''friendship" is not what you expected it to be? Why not be honest rather than sneaky? And why don't you tell her when she hurts your feelings? I mean, you've know each other long enough to be honest.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't know if she is doing in on purpose to be hurtful, or if she is just clueless - says whatever pops into her head- and does not realize her words can hurt. A real and true friend would not say something like that or rub it in like she is doing. It may be time to say "you know Susan, I really don't like it when you say things like that to me, it is hurtful. We have been friends a long time but if you keep doing things like this I am going to end the friendship".
    If she keeps it up then I would definately end the friendship and know that she is not a real and true friend.
    I hope she gets-and understands- the message good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• You need to talk to her and tell her how you feel.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Thanks Ladies I appreciate the advice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Oct. 26, 2009