Breastfeeding and public or going out, HELP

I am very shy and do not wish to bf in public, I am going to return to work in 4 weeks and I lost on how to make sure my son has enough milk to go with him when I am gone. Also if i take him out what do people do to feed their babies if they do not wish to bf in public? and what are good bottles to use with bf and pumping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just pump, and any bottle will do. Start pumping now inbetween feedings, and freeze the milk. When you go to work, pump on breaks
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:58 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Dressing rooms are a good option. and like zakys...stated, start pumping now...one thing that helped when pumping at work was to tape record baby's noises and play them when you are pumping...also take a worn onsie with you so you get the scent...it will help with letdown when pumping.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I used oversized blankets in the car. I was very shy with breast feeding my last one so I would either nurse or pump in the bathroom while traveling. I also prefered the dr. brown bottles.
    mom2girls82

Answer by mom2girls82 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Congratulations on your new bundle! You can BF practically anywhere you feel comfortable. I have done it all over the place. I liked the Medela pumps. I thought it was very gentle and did a good job. You should probably get a battery operated, not a manual pump if you are planning on providing him with alot of breast milk in bottles for feeding in public. You can freeze breast milk and puchase little bags at Target or Walmart. Log onto LaLeche League for lots of info...GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:22 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• After all that pumping for work, you may not want the hassle (I pumped while working and was glad when I left my job; it was a PITA) or to "waste" milk by not nursing when you are together. If you are a super milk producer it may not be a problem, but most people I know are not like that. I agree that you should start pumping and storing now.

I had a Moby Wrap, and just nursed my baby in that. She would be completely covered up and you would have your hands free.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• what you can do is pump while you nurse that way you dont have to give formula.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• what is embarassing about giving your baby the best food possible? I would be much more embarrased to give a baby formula by choice, when I was perfectly capable of breastfeeding.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

cuz is her choice, maybne she doesnt feel ok bf in public is her body. also there is nothing worng with formula. i ff my first and she isnt death
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Pump, pump, pump :) And like Happytexascm said, after having to give a bottle while you are at work, it might be best for your supply if you don't give bottles while you are together. It is difficult for most moms to keep up with pumping like that because you usually do not pump as much as your baby would nurse. When at work, I would recommend pumping more often than your little one would nurse to make up the difference, and also start pumping now so that you have some stored in advance.
    Breastfeeding in public- - if you are really uncomfortable with it, you can sit in the car, or dressing rooms of stores. You can use a blanket tossed over your shoulder and babies head. They also make wonderful cover-ups now that come in a lot of different prints. I have used my Moby wrap and nursed with everything completely covered.
    Cont.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Cont.: You will likely find that after you become more comfortable with breastfeeding (older babies latch themselves on and don't need much help - it does get easier and less awkward!), that you are also more comfortable with nursing in public. I'm not saying that you'll suddenly be ok with whipping the girls out to feed your baby ;) just that you will become more adept at being discreet and therefore feel more comfortable.
    good luck!!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2009