PLEASE READ!

Also posted in money & work

SO lost job. Baby's due date was YESTERDAY so he will be coming anyyy day now. SO doesn't qualify for unemployment. If he can't find a new job this week we were thinking about looking into the military. We are not married, but couldn't me and baby just follow him around wherever he goes? I don't think we are ready to get married at this point in time, even though I know he would get paid more. This is so not the option we wanted to take... What jobs in the military offer a sign on bonus and what do you have to do to get them? I really need some advice...

Tashwitz

Asked by Tashwitz at 10:58 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tash, where in OH? I'm in central :) We just got stationed here a year ago for this duty. It's lovely here in the fall! I can tell you a bit about the social ramifications of it because that is what tends to affect military wives the most. (Jmo!) I am like you and never wanted to leave family and friends... I figured I'd live in ATL my whole life, work for the same surgeons and retire there :) Well I am gonna retire there but now with a guaranteed income and insurance through my husband's job. I have friends all over the world. Literally! I know it can be a bit scary but there are some great support networks out there for military wives- Military One Source has a great website to help you out... as well as being able to use USAA Insurance and banking (by far the best company I have ever dealt with!) Idk if you would qualify for much of that though unless you were married. Your child might though.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 3:16 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• If you are NOT married the military will not pay for you to move. Most enrollees are required to live in the barracks. IF you want to follow him, you can but it will be completely out of pocket. And jobs in the military have NO bearing on pay or sign on bonus. Best is to just research the different branches and see which ones offer it. Also you won't have any medical coverage under the military. Your child will as a dependant, but not you
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Technically, yes you could follow him, unless he was stationed in Germany, Italy, Korea, etc. If he is stationed in one of those places, you still could but it would be very expensive and there is a lot of paperwork that is involved with moving overseas if you are not married. As far as sign out bonuses go, two weeks ago, one of the military papers had the sign on and re-enlistment bonuses. There are no more $20,00-$50,000 bonuses like there have been in the past. Right now it may be $2000-$10,000 at the most. The $10,000 is for the bomb squad (can't think of the technical name for it). However, most of the signing bonuses go to in demand MOS's (jobs) and ones that are dangerous (like the bomb squad). Most of your support jobs don't have bonuses at the moment. Anyways, if your SO wants a bonus then tell him to look into any combat related mos's. Continued..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:06 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Continued... However, with those combat related jobs there comes a lot of responsibility. There are some men who would make great infantry men or bomb squad person, but others are best in another position in the military. When choosing an MOS with the military it is best to pick a job that you would enjoy, not because it offers a sign on bonus. Also, you do need to research every branch. There are some branches that are more family friendly than others, and some branches don't let you pick out your job at all. Good Luck in whatever your SO and you decide to do.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• You have a baby together. Get married for the sake of the baby. Make a written agreement about how you will end the marriage if you decide to do so. It won't be legal but it will remind each of you what you agreed to. If he is going to be in the military you need to be married.

If he is good enough to have a baby with he should be good enough to marry. This man is going to be part of your life for at least 18 years if you like it or not. My oldest son is 30 and his father is still part of my life. We have been divorced over 20 years.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• am a marine wife ifyou have any questions msg me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Talk to a recruiter. My husband is one and one of the first things he will tell you is that you need to go to your local area recruiting station. For the Army anyway, only certain jobs are available at certain times depending on the needs of the Army and your SO has to test qualify for them. Go talk to a recruiter and know what that option even entails before you make a decision. The military lifestyle has been a huge blessing for our family. My husband will retire at the age of 39! We have had three kids an not a dime of out of pocket medical expenses.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 11:32 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Do NOT get married just for the sake of the baby! That's an insane idea and if that's why you're getting married you're even more likely to head into divorce court!

You can follow him around, but you'll not be eligible for base housing, the military will not pay for you to move, for your medical care, in some cases you'll not be allowed on base (depending on where he's stationed and how secure it is) and there are some places he would be stationed where you'll end up being stuck where you are unless you can find the money to go back to YOUR home.

Jobs with bonuses would depend on the branch he's considering and for what job he qualifies. He can't just walk in there and say "I want to be a........" He'll take the test and they'll give him a list from which he can chose after the test and he passes the physical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• OH...and there will be no bonus received until he at least graduates basic training so don't think he's going to get a chunk of money right off the bat. He won't.
    Anonymous

• I think we want to get married eventually, but now is not the right time. We were talking about him joining the Navy and we looked up the recruiting place and may be giving them a call later.

I saw on the Navy's website that they can live off-base and be given a housing allowance. Can we live with him them? or what if he just pays for all of us to live off base? I would try to do some work from home stuff.

This is never something we wanted to do, I want to be close to my family... here in Ohio. I just don't know what to do this is such a big decision. What else can you guys tell me?
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 11:41 AM on Oct. 26, 2009