I want to know if anyone has experienced this - My just made 3yrs old and I'm pregnant 5 1/2 months! My son whines alot now and the only time he likes to be around me is when he is sleepy! Oh,I'm having another Boy!

DDove

Asked by DDove at 10:58 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well when he whines, tell him that he is whinning and that you don't "listen" to whinning and when he's ready to talk to you or ask you something in a big boy voice THEN you will listen. It takes consistancy but does work
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:00 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I had a very similar experience when my middle daughter was 2 years old and I was expecting again. I did like Zaksmommy and told her that mommy needed her to act like a big girl because she was going to be a big sister and that mommy didn't listen to whining and her acting like a baby. You do have to be consistant. Sometimes its hard not to give in to just stop the whining but it does work. Make sure and talk to your son about his role as a big brother and how he needs to be Mommy's special helper and a big boy. When the baby arrives make sure to include him such as getting you the diaper or the wipes or taking the dirty diaper to the trash. The smallest things make them feel grown up and the whining goes away. Good Luck and congradulations!
    shelltypop

Answer by shelltypop at 11:05 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yep I agree... Tell him when he is ready to explain what is wrong you will listen ... Make sure you let him know that he is a big boy and needs to talk to about his problem and that you will not tolerate whining. Sure you pay attention to him when does good and tell him that he is a good helper or a good boy... Don't let it go unnoticed he will feel that you love the baby more just keep letting him know that you love him and the baby doesn't change how you feel. Congratz this is only the beginning
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 11:09 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Thanks! i will defintely use these techniques!
    DDove

Answer by DDove at 11:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2009