How do I make new friends who live near me?

I have tried darn near everything - from using this site, to posting my # on the local library community board to joing a group on meetup.com only later to be told since I lived 30 minutes away maybe I should reconsider (a nice way of being booted out by snobby moms)
I moved to rural NC from NY in 2006 and now have a 3 year old. I have yet to make 1 friend here. I have approached mom's in the park and the library story time and get the cold shoulder very time. The isolation from not having any friends/support system is really taking it's toll. I not only want friends, but I know my little one needs a playdate every now & again. HELP!!!

fairygrl79

Asked by fairygrl79 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• I can't believe that moms in the park and at the library rejected you!

Try taking a toddler class, like Kindermusik or Wiggleworms. Find a house of worship that fits your beliefs.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:38 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Check online for local Mommy and me classes(or something similar), great way for you and the little one to meet new people. If your son goes to preschool, volunteer there. Check out local events that involve kids your sons age and just keep trying. Good Luck!
    Becky
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:39 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I think the two moms above have great advice. I think that joining something like a class where it's ongoing and you see the same people on a more regular basis would be a good idea. We have an adult school here that has parenting classes and also does the mommy and me classes and I met a lot of people there when I had my 1st.
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i know exactly how you feel.i have always had a lot of friends , i'm aquarius/capricorn. i make friends its what i do best. i have been put in the most unusal situations. i moved to ohio after leaving the military in 07 and i have only made one friend since. the people here just don't want to be bothered with meeting anyone new. i try to get my daughter out to meet kids and i try iviting the parents to parties and just chatting with them casual conversation they either walk away or the conversation ends awkwardly because i am not an osu fan.no one in the state thats from ohio has ever ventured out.i hate ohio.everyone has there nose in the air. to be honest its ok there are alot of criminals that come out of ohio. its probably best to keep a distance.
    Anonymous

• Don't:
    Give up or dwell on yourself or the not so nice women you have met. You are experiencing something very common.

Do:
    .Find a place of worship. Look for other mothers. There is a sense of extended family in these places, unlike a club or nursery school.

.Start or attend a stuctured mother's of preschoolers with facilitators to keep mom's relaxed and involved. Try www.MOPS.org to get an idea of what they are like, then go.

.Volunteer at the house of worship when childcare or activities are onsite. You and your child will have opportunities to have fun and socialize while you help out. It is unlikely that you will find good and lasting friends with your current approach. Friendships usually come after you find common interests, attitudes and values, not before.

happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I get that too. I just moved to the area I currently reside in and I always try to make small talk with people--the YMCA, library, waiting for my kids to get out of school and it's the same snub. I used to take it personally, but now I think pretty much everyone nowadays has a chip on their shoulder.
    Anonymous

• lol Anon 12:12, I'm from Ohio too...well MI really, but moved here in 2000 and I am NOT an OSU fan GO BLUE!!! Send me a message if you'd like to talk!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 3:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Call the churches in your area and ask if they have mother's day out programs. It's a wonderful place to meet moms your age with children the same age as yours. Most of them are free, and you can even volunteer to help out from time to time so that other moms can have a little get out, too. They provide a safe environment for your little one to play with other children, and I think you will meet nice people there.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2009