Lice!!

Does anyone else know how to get rid of lice? We have done over 4 treatments, in the last month and a half. I am still finding live ones in DDs hair!!

Is there anything else I can try? We have used RID, and then I actually used a Dollar General brand ( that worked better then the RID) But it seems like once we get rid of them, or think we have, they have them again! Uuuugghhh

Thanks inadvance for any imput or suggestions! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Are you getting the nits out, they are very small sometimes hard to see. They must be removed. The shampoos etc do not kill the nits only hatched lice. You also must clean the house, vacum, wash bedding, hair bows, combs, hats and put up stuffed animal in a trash bag sealed tight for about 2 weeks..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It is more then treating the hair. Getting rid of lice requires vigilance! You need to wash all bedding daily. Vacuum EVERYTHING twice a day. When we had it we covered the couch with a sheet and changed it a couple of times a day and vacuumed when we changes it.
    Also we had everybody wear a shower cap in the house so that no lice bugs or eggs escaped and reinfected the house.
    Pillows should be dried in the dryer for 20 minutes everyday.
    Good luck! Damn...now my head itches, just thinking about lice.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I had them TWICE my senior year of HS. It was horrid.

Here is the best way to get rid of them.

First, take ALL soft pillows, stuffed animals and anything else they could be in and seal them up in plastic for at the very least 2-3 weeks. Then wash them.

For bedding buy plastic covers (Sears has them).

Also make sure to vacume your furnature at the very least 3 times a week for 2 weeks.

Combs, brushes and anything else that can be should just be replaced!

For you daughters hair use the lice gaurd 3 step program! It's a little more costly than RID, but you will only need to buy it ONCE with RID you will be buying over and over! And it's all pesticide free... www.liceguard.com

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Thanks Ladies!

We have replaced alot of stuff already.

I have bagged the stuff animals as well. I will look up the lice gaurd, havent heard of it. The first treatme we did use the 3-step program with RID.

Thanks again! :)
    Anonymous

• You need to vacuum everything, get the bedding spray, bag up all stuffed animals. Take everything to the laundromat and put it in the dryer the hotter the better. You must pick through their hair and get the nits out. The plastic combs are not worth the plastic they are made out of. They are small and it is a pain in the butt. In between treatments I would glop their hair up with mayo and a shower cap at night. Also lice like clean hair, so I would spray them up with hairspray or gel during the day. Where are they coming from? School maybe? I would notify the school and they can do a check because if your children share a locker than they could be spread through hats, coats, hairties, scarves, brushes, etc. I got the bedding spray and sprayed the hell out of everything, the beds, couches, carpets, than waited and vacuumed everything. Good Luck and I know its a pain in the butt!
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• manyose,they dont like the vinager. my mom has used lamp oil on my head but it burns real bad. baby oil also helps slide them right out.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Oh my, quit w/the pesticides!
    Both of my daughters had lice a couple of months ago. I went to Kroger and got some pesticide free stuff, which also happened to be the cheapest one. One treatment and we all didn't have lice anymore.
    On top of that, put tea tree oil in the shampoo. Lice don't like it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Have you tried washing all the bedding and stuffed animals and hats and/or clothing that may have come into contact with them. My mom had to leave my sisters stuffed animals in the garage in a plastic bag for a while until they all died.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Thank you ladies for all the suggestions. I just went to the store, and picked up some Tea Tree oil, and also read to use mayo or cooking oil. Thanks again for all your imput! I have spent all day washing, bedding, and dryin pillows, so I am praying this will work! :)
    Anonymous

• dont use baby oil. It is murder to get out of hair. vinegar which is what works from the mayo can be used my mixing it with water. I hate them nasty things. Oh and conditoner works very well, just blob it on brush threw and then use the Rid metal combs. It helps a great deal is much cheaper. dont give up.
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2009