OK to join military as a financial pacifier?

Sorry to open such a can of worms, but this issue has been pestering me.

Is it ok for the military to be saught after as a financial pacifier?

"This brings in the discussion about whether giving more benefits to veterans / military brings in the wrong crowd. One commenter states that doing this would result in more people are coming for the incentives rather than the mindset of service" -Fox News

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A lot of people do that, and then there's women who marry men in the military for financial dependence and all the benefits. I live in NC and see that a lot!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I dunno, I have to say I doubt that would be a problem. There may be a few who join for benefits but military life is a hard life for the soldier and the family. Now days there is a good chance you will go to war and I think if you don't have your countires benifit at heart then you are not going to head for the military no matter the benefits.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I could see this argument with enlistment/sign on bonuses. But for those already serving? I don't think this argument applies. If you cannot fully cimmit to the mission (and the means GOING TO WAR) you should not jeopardize your life or those who will serve along side of you just for a paycheck. jmo...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• *commit
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• They aren't just sacrificing their life for a paycheck...there's housing, cars, health insurance and security for their family. I think this has become a FAD over the years and yes people are doing this.
    Anonymous

• That's the majority of the reason why people join the military in the first place. So yeah it's legal. But it's not an EASY payheck. DOn't sit there thinking that people in the military have it easy with a guarantee paycheck every month because that's total bullocks! Most of them join thinking they won't go to war but now I'm sure it has changed. And some join because they have a baby on the way and they want to guarantee that their child is covered. Nothing wrong with doing something for the sake of your family.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

If they CANNOT FULLY COMMIT TO THE MISSION~ they should NOT volunteer their time/service into the US Armed forces. That is dangerous for them, and those who have to stand and (possibly) fight along side of them.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree that not wanting to be in the military for the JOB itself but rather the compensation is a bad thing. many times my husband has tried to talk me into letting him join so we could make more money or have better insurance. Every time I've said no. I just don't want him in harm's way for a buck.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't believe that joining "for the sake of the family" is really for the sake of the family.

There are other jobs in the civilian world that are more suitable for parents with kids.

I just don't agree with military as "family oriented". Not a social program, and was never meant to be. IMO, if the military wanted you to have a family, it would have issued you one.
    Anonymous

• my dad, both my brothers and my ol man joined the military because of recessions or financial security. they are all now war veterans. ya just can't lump everyone together with certain classifications or labels.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2009