I need to pump so I can go back to work, and I cant get any

I need to start pumping and storing to go back to work soon, but i pump in between feedings or feed my son on one breast and pump the other and visa versa all day and i seem to be pumping less all of a sudden today I can only get one ounce each time i pumped! what is going on, am i drying up or not producing as much> my son seems to be pooping and wetting fine!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I went through that, I BF for 6 weeks before I dried up, I would pump and feed pump and feed 24 hours a day, then when I'd pump it would take an hour just to get an oz. seriously me and hubby timed it. Keep trying till you can't nomore.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• 1, PUMP WHILE YOU NURSE
    2. INCREAASE FLUID INTAKE
    3. FERNUGREEK
    1-2 OZ PER PUMPING SESSION IS NORMAL PUMPING OUTPUT AND PUMPING OUTPUTR IS NO IDICATION OF SUPPLY
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Some women can not get milk out with a pump...that doesn't mean that you are loosing your milk...you may need to opt for hand expression instead
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Your body becomes more and more effecient at making milk as times goes on. Your body knows how much milk your baby needs and it's not gonna give up the goods for the pump.

What can you do about it? You can nurse more frequently, which will build up supply. You can get a good pump (if you're going back to work you're going to need a double electric pump... and NOT an Evenflo! Medela or Ameda!), and you can pump more frequently, especially first thing in the morning. Until you get a good stash I'd pump EVERY time you feed the baby. If he's still exclusively breastfed then pump AFTER every nursing session. If he's old enough (over 6 months) to be on solids, then you can nurse him and pump at the same time to build up a good stash and give him solids after he nurses if he's still hungry (but he shoudln't be... your body will adjust quickly).

GOOD LUCK!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Pump at the same times everyday after a few days your body will get used to it.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 12:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• try pumping right when u get up in the morning thats when ur suply is greatest. also leave the pump running on breast for 10 minutes even if nothing is coming out.try massaging them when u pump
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Brewers yeast tablets, fenugreek, mother's tea, blessed thistle - all will help your supply BUT this does not sound like a supply issue. Pumping is no indication of how much milk you are actually making, and 1-2 ounces is definitely normal for pumping - some women have trouble getting that much even.
    Continue pumping every time you nurse, and drink a LOT of water. When it's time for you to pump at work, carry a picture of your baby nursing to help with let-down. You can also use breast massage to stimulate let down. Hand expressing works well, but your hands will get tired :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I was told to pump for 20 minutes each side regardless of how much you get or how long the milk is actually coming out. I was so excited when I started getting 3oz at a time (around 6 weeks)! Then we kinda hit a lull and eventually I stopped, but I'd listen to the other suggestions and maybe try mother's milk.. it was suggested to me but by then I was so fed up with it that we just stopped.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• One ounce is normal output. Baby needs one ounce per hour of separation.

What pump, used when? Makes a difference.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2009