How often do you get your kid a new toy?

Every time you go to the store? Once a week? Once a month? Every couple months? Only at x-mas and b-days?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well every time we pass one of those crane machines I will pop a dollar in it...if she gets something out of it hooray, in a couple of weeks it will be a dog toy (kill 2 birds with one dollar)...as for actually buying something, special occasions and on days when I'm in a really generous mood but never for good behaviour or to soothe a cranky child
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• sometimes my little gets something every time if its on clearance for like a dollar.if its not a toy its food of some sort
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Once about every other week, she's 13 months.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Only when I feel like it lol, but not much, they are 10 and 16, they dont' need anything lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• He gets a new book just about every week because he loves reading. We go to second hand stores and he picks out the book he wants. Most toys I buy goes into the Christmas/Birthday pile. He probably gets 1 toy every month. It just depends on what the second hand stores has and if he is interested in anything.
    Anonymous

• Usually he gets a small toy like a matchbox car every two weeks when we do the big shopping trip for everything we need (I hate going to the store so I try to only go on payday to walmart/the mall and just do grocery shopping more often). Occasionally we will buy something bigger than that, usually once every couple months and its usually a toy that me or DH just think is too cool to pass up. He is three and we are also trying to transition from baby/toddler toys to childrens toys.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• birthday, Christmas, and maybe Easter
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 1:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Usually just birthdays, Christmas and something small on Easter. I do spend a gawd awful amount of quarters in those little machines at the grocery store, lol. If I've got 4 quarters I buy them each a little guy every time I go. Sometimes only for the 3yo. They have a huge collection now. And that's after losing half of them within days.
    Big toys/games, though, only on birthdays and Christmas. For my middle daughter that means she waits all year. Her birthday is in 2 weeks (she'll be 7) and then Christmas is a month and a half after that. She might get something small at Easter (like a small stuffed animal). My oldest has a summer birthday so it's spread out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Mainly at birthdays and Christmastime. If they get a new toy any other time of the year its because they did something really well and were rewarded for it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Every here and there. Sometimes, every week. Sometimes, not for a month or two. It all depends on what they want and if we can find it and afford it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2009