My MIL was unknowingly dating a married immigrant, Was any crime commited?

So, some back story:My MIL has been dating this man for about 3 years now, they live in the same apartment complex and see each other everyday. He lives with this older lady she is probably about 70. He says she is a close friend of his family(she used to live in India where he is from, but she is american) He has been living here about 4-5 years and is an engineer.
My MIL found some messages on his myspace page from some other ladies and started messaging them to see if they were involved with her boyfriend. Turns out the woman was his step-daughter, though she was 7 years older than him. The old lady he lives with turns out to be his wife. It was arranged so he could get a green card. She knows he sees other women and doesn't care. Apparantly they aren't romantically involved they only live together so the goverment thinks they are together. Is it illegal to marry solely for citizenship purposes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No -its not like she knew
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 12:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• it is illegal to marry only for that if they find out he ccan be deported
    Anonymous

• I am op. I meant did the man commit a crime for marrying only for a green card, or the woman he is married to for marrying him so he could be a citizen.
    Anonymous

• Really?
    This guy has been a productive member of society of several years and you are looking to see what kind of crime he is committing? Who cares if he married for a green card? He isn't out killing people. He is working and paying his taxes like all the rest of us. Give him a break.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It's not illegal but it is frowned upon. People do it all the time. It is sad though. They don't get to marry for love. :(
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• They have men that import women from different countries so they can marry them and get citizenship. So how is this case any different? As others said, no its not illegal but frowned upon.

Hell, they have websites for women seeking men to import them and get citizenship.
    Anonymous

• Happens all the time. One of the things I thought was funny when I worked for Immigration were the married cases that would actually send pic's of their 'coupling'... talk about ewww, lol.

Now, yes it is illegal to marry for citizenship however proving it is another matter. Your mother in-law can state it all she wants which could prompt an investigation that may go nowhere, but if she really wants it taken care of legally speaking I strongly suggest she gets his step-daughter to step up to the plate and file a report. Based off the step-daughters mothers age (sounds like she's pretty much up there in age) she can state that her mother is not in her right mind when she got married; she was looking for support in her older years, this way her mother doesn't get jailed (she can) and he can be deported. It really isn't an easy process to prove and get rid of somebody here either illegally or under false pretense.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Yes but why do you care???? I mean, if the only reason they got married was so that he could be here and have a job LEGALLY then who cares? I know lots of people who do this, and guess what, nobody really gives half a rat's ass. If I were you I would stay out of other people's business and pay attention to your own life and your own family.
    Oh, did I offend you? Too bad. Shouldn't ask questions that are none of your beeswax anyway.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 8:40 PM on Oct. 26, 2009