Were you told to "prime" your nipples before breastfeeding?

At the hospital the lactation lady told me to squeeze out a little first before I put the baby on. It reminded me of when you start a lawn mower but you have to push the button on the side 3 times first to prime it LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yeah they didnt say it like that though, they said to express some milk so that the baby knows what to try for and so it tastes like food to them...
    Anonymous

• Yes, I was told that too. It still didn't matter. I was a breast feeding failure for both kids.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• nope. i always thought that the nipple being a different color was enough to get them to know where to go- like a giant bullseye! my first daughter would try to nurse through my shirt though. i think babies have a good sense of smell cos they always know who momma is anyway.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2009