Generous money gift, need advice please

Please help me figure out what to do. My wonderful dentist is being extremely generous to my family and I and I don't know what to do besides tell her thank you. First time, she forgave a bill (about $250) that my insurance rejected. She did not let me pay for it after I offered. This time I was supposed to pay my $50 co-payment for the year and she didn't charge me either. On top of all that while my daughter was getting her dentistry done this wonderful dentist handed me a little box with an envelope, without knowing what it was I thank her so much and I hugged her to show her how thankful and grateful I was. But then I get home I open the little box and inside is a gift card $25 to a restaurant and inside the envelope was a check written out for $300. Oh my gosh, I could not believe this. I have never in my life ever had such a generous gift like this and I don't know why she would do this. Please let me mention...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• please let me mention that this dentist has become more than just my dentist. I met her throught her sister whom I was friends first then I met her family but that's it. I have taken my daughter to get work done on her teeth and maybe twice for me but that's it. I dont' feel I have done anyting to deserve such generosity. Also, I did work for her office for about a week, I never expected to get paid and never did because I was so inexperience and I really didn't do much. So again, I feel I don't deserve this. I don't want o be an ungrateful person, but I feel very weird and don't know what to do. I was thinking about accepting the gift card but not the $300 and I don't know how to return it without insulting her. Please help me. Thank you so much.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she makes a lot of money and she doesnt know what to do with it. That paired with the want to give may be whats causing it. She may even be trying to 'buy' your friendship or into your family. I have no idea, but lets just say that you dont want any 'bad blood' between you and your dentist or it may turn into....a painful experience.....
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• That is VERY sweet and generous of her. I would accept her gift graciously, thank her profusely and promise her that you will pay it forward to someone else in need. Keeping the good karma going is the best thank you you could ever give her. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Maybe she feels guilty for not paying you for the week you worked even though you say you didn't do a very good job? I would accept it, spend it wisely (put in savings, pay off a bill, etc.) and send a very nice thank you card.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• As awkward as it may be, my thoughts are that you should graciously accept the gift and as a previous poster said "spend it wisely". Returning the check would give the appearance that you are rejecting her generosity which could greatly strain any relationship you have with her both personally and as a patient. Making sure that her gift does not go to waste would be the best thanks you could give (of course along with a Thank You card). The gift is much more than money. It is the ability for her to fill a need.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Some people like to give. They get off on helping others. Please do not be offended by this. She seems like a lovely lady. Just think about if everyone was like that! This world would be awesome. I go out of my way to help others, & sometimes I get rejected. Please just let her do it.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would just send her a thank you note and tell her you really appreciate it and it was a wonderful blessing for your family and you will pay it forward.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• She considers you a friend and wants to help you. Send her a nice card thanking her for her generosity and explaining to her how grateful you are. That is what you should do. Don't blow the money pay a bill or buy something you need. She wants to help you. You're lucky hun a lot of people need help and no one is willing to help them.
    Anonymous