How would you feel if your son wanted to go into the Military?

I am proud that he is so focused at 16 to join the US Air Force although I am scared to death as to him being sent to war. How would you feel?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 12:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would be proud but scared as well. Good luck to you!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would be proud but the same time sad. I have a lot of family members that have served and lost a lot to wars in the past. You just have to hope and pray for the best.
    Anonymous

• I'd be fine with it. My 23yo son has been in the Army for 4 years (1 year National Guard and 3 years active duty Army), my daughter in law is also in the Army and my 19yo son who is a high school senior is going in to the Air Force (we talk to the recruiter tomorrow) once he graduates and wants to be a para-rescuer. My son and daughter in law have both been to Iraq and it looks like my 23yo may go to Afghanistan next year & that my daughter in law will go there the following year (and they have a baby due in May). It's scary to go through and scary to think about as a mom. If my 19yo does become a para-rescuer he's going to be in harms way on a daily basis, much more so than his older brother. It would be the same if he chose to be a police officer or a fire fighter in the civilian world (when he gets out of the military he will either become a firefighter or a police officer). Be strong and be proud of his choices :-)
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would be honored. My husband is Air Force.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would be afraid but at the same time I would be proud that he has the integrity to choose an honorable path for his life. It is a tough decision and I'm sure not one that he has made lightly. I would bite back my own fears and support him wholly in his decision and pray that it is a decision that will make him happy.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• There are so many other ways to do national service. You can learn more here: http://www.americorps.gov/

Answer by rkoloms at 2:32 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• well my dh is in the marines so it wouldt surprise me
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My Dad and brother were Air Force men. If my son could go into the Air Force I'd be proud he followed in their footsteps and for wanting to defend his country, but I'd also be worried for his safety, anxious, and scared for him. That's how my mother explained how she felt when my brother went into the Air Force.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• This has happened to me. My son told me every since he was 4 or 5 that he wanted to be a Marine...at that young age, I thought he would change his mind. He never did. When he was 16 he signed the papers of intention and I proudly went with him to sign them. I will not lie and say that it did not frighten me, because it did and he did in fact serve in Iraq. He's home safe and sound though and I am very proud of him.
    Anonymous

• I would do every thing in my power to prevent it. But thats just me I have seen first hand what this war has done to people That I love and would not allow any child of mine to have to endure that same pain and torment that they expeince on a daily basis
    Anonymous