My son will be 1 in a few days and i have no idea what to feed him. Please help!!

how often do i feed him milk? do i use a bottle or try a sippy cup? he doesn't want to hold a sippy cup so i have to feed him and sometimes he doesnt want to drink out of one. i dont know what kind of food to feed him. im completly stresesd out that he wont get enough food and will be hungry. please tell me some advice. thank you

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 12:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at least 3 meals a day. he doesn't have to se the sippy cup. give him a cup or bottle once in the morning and once before bed. make sure to get the meals in there. regular baby cereal steamed vegetables, mushed fruits..
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• has your son not had any solids up to this point? If he doesnt like the sippy cup, I dont see anything wrong w/ still using a bottle at 12 months. Try a sippy w/ handles, and they make a soft spout one now too that my DS loved. Just keep trying.
    About the food, it depends on what he's had to eat up to this point. Is he eating reg table food? Then really no change is necessary. Just sub milk for formula. If he's not had any solids than you need to start small. 1 food at a time untill you're sure there are no allergies. At age 1 there are really no food restrictions.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• he eats stage 3 baby foods we give him table scraps that are small but he starts "choking". i say it that was cause he coughs and spits it up. he really doesnt choke on it im pretty sure its cause its a different consistancy. also should i still give baby jar foods?
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 12:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Have you already transitioned to whole milk? If not mix it half and half with formula for a while then slowly put more milk until it is all milk. Give it to him as often as he has been taking formula. As far as food, he could eat the gerber graduate meals, soft fruits and veggies, any kind of healthy table food you make that isn't a big choking hazard.
    Just keeping feeding what you have been feeding him and slowly transitition into these other things. Don't worry Momma. He will be fine. Work more on the sippy cup he will take it over time. Just go down to only bottles at bed time. and then slowly cut that too. Try to get him to hold it as much as possible. I like the nuk starter cups they are shaped like a sippy lid but made out of the same material as a nipple. Also my son did better with soft straw cups then he did with sippys at first since you dont have to turn them up.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• table scraps?
    Anonymous

• He can still eat baby food, but start introducing the foods you eat. We eat bananas, yogurt, oatmeal, spaghetti cut into tiny pieces, mashed banana and avacado. I'll mush up just about any kind of fruit or vegetable I can cook. She doesn't always eat them, but it introduces her to new foods. I also let her stick her hands in there and feed herself. I'm not going to lie - it's messy.

Every child is different, but the rule of thumb is that your child can eat most foods at one - the exception being high allergy foods, so no nuts, peanut butter, eggs at this point unless you know there is no allergy. Just be sure foods are in tiny pieces - the size of your pinky nail or smaller.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Let him eat whatever you eat. Cut up spag & matballs, chicken quersadillas, top ramen. string cheese, scrambles eggs & sausage, pizza cut up. LEt him eat with his fingers.

Keep offering milk out of a sippy (many times a day) Mix whole milk with formula or breastmilk during transition.

I hope this helps. Keep trying, he'll catch on..
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• First, take a deep breath and realize that your child will not starve! There is nothing particularly magic about turning one other than being able to switch from formula to milk (whole milk)d. You can continue to feed the same things you've been feeding him particularly if he doesn't seem willing to accept table foods just yet (i.e. the "choking"). Same applies to the sippy cup. Keeping trying it but if needed, keep the bottles until he's able to handle the cup (my son couldn't deal with the sippy cup until closer to 14 months). Then, keep trying to introduce new foods. Stick with soft, easy to mush food (noodles, soft fruits, frozen veggies, breads, etc) until he adjusts. As he gets better at solids, introduce foods that require more chewing. We were told to avoid nuts and shellfish but advice varies alot on that point. Supplement with baby foods as needed. He will get the hang of chewing!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Every child is different in how much they eat and how often they eat. Start out by feeding him when you eat your meals. My Pedi told me that he can eat anything that he can gum in his mouth and easily swallow. Except for strawberries and peanut butter as they have a risk for allergic reaction. Try starting him out with a couple of crackers. He will probably just play with them at first, but he'll test them out as every child puts things in their mouth. Encourage him when he takes a bite by saying "Good [insert gender]" When it comes to milk don't start them off on a full bottle right away. Slowly introduce it into his bottle of formula, and then slowly after a week lessen the amount of formula that he gets in his bottle. Let him explore his foods and make sure you only feed him easily mushable foods, so he can gum them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2009