What's the first thing that comes to your mind when an Iraqi Veteran says they have PTSD?

My husband has been diagnosed with it and everytime he mentions it at a family gathering or to anyone tey think he's full of shit. But I know for a fact that he has it, no one can go to war and not come back the same person they were before. Not after the horrific things he told me he saw. So why is it that no one thinks it's possible that an Iraqi Veteran (Or any war veteran) would have this condition?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe it is possible, but I also think it's a bandwagon too.
    Anonymous

• I don't understand the people who don't think it's real. I agree- how can someone go through that and not be changed in some way!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 12:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• This is so sad!!! I'm glad you are such a supportive wife. What is wrong with people?
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 12:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My first thought is that I hope he is getting the treatment that he needs. My other thought is that there are few people who can experience what he did without being unscathed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Some people have a hard time believing it, especially when it comes to our soldiers. I personally think those people just feel guilty, and don't want to believe that someone who went to fight for their freedom encountered such things that would give them PTSD. Most people just don't want to know what goes on over there. I'm glad your husband has you to support him, and I hope he gets the help he very much deserves.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• What do we say about those who live at the VA center, that won't move on in their lives? They try to cling to a woman. But then run back tot the VA when life gets tough.
    Anonymous

• My first thought is that I am glad that he's willing to admit it. Too many don't. I don't think it's possible for anyone to come home from war and not have PTSD to a degree. It's just the severity of it and the symptoms may be different.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• You need to continuing to be his rock and help make sure he gets the help he needs.  It's hard. Sounds like you take the time to listen to him. That is a HUGE part. Is he seeking help? There are some programs for him, you, the entire family. PM  me if you need any help finding on at your local base/post.  It's sad his family isn't offering the support he needs. Perhaps you could send them info on the disorder and ask them to be there for him. Bless you all.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My dad lost both legs in Vietnam and he never talked about how it affected him. I am CERTAIN that he had PTSD but he was too prideful to get help. We are now fortunate enough to have a better understanding of what it is and a more accepting society so that veterans may feel more comfortable talking to a therapist. PTSD is real, and should not be disregarded. The audacity of some folks to judge or discredit someone w/o an understanding of what trauma a person may have experienced. Sounds like you are doing all you can to be supportive.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I think the problem is its a "popular" issue right now, like diagnosing kids with autism or about 20 years ago ADD/ADHD There is a big rise in people having it and a lot of them use it as a crutch so people tend to not believe it as much because those people make it seem less real to them for the people who are really affected.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:19 PM on Oct. 26, 2009