How do I explain this to my overly narrowminded mother?

My mother is JW. She sees no reason to look in to other religions because they are "wrong" as far as she is concerned. An old friend of hers has just been denied parole. She was in prision for attempted murder. The lady claims that she was going to kill her kids as a sacrifice to Satan.

How do I make my mother understand that my friends that are Satanists are not a danger to my kids or thiers and that her friend was a devil worshiper - not a Satanists... Her friend was just a little off her rocker and my friends are not?? I'm really tired of her being so nasty and threatining to get CYS involved...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You probably will never be able to get through to her. I know it is different situation. But my dad will not accept that I am an atheist.
    Tell her to mind her own, if they aren't practicing their religion in the same room as your children I don't see anything that they could do to corrupt your kids. As far as their own kids, teaching them their religion is no different than your mother teaching you her's. People teach their kids what they believe Satanists, Christians, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Buddists,Pagan,Wiccans, Agnostic,Atheist,Etc. Everyone does I don't see any reason to get CYS involved. And even if they do get involved they would have no right to take their children due solely to religion anyway. Like I said before tell your mom to mind her own and leave you and your friends alone.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Probably never going to happen to be honest.

If people arent willing to hear whats going on and learn a bit to widen their narrow minds no amount of whining, begging, or talking will work.

Save your breath and just roll your eyes when she gets on a tangent. If she pushes the issue then tell her since she isnt willing to listen you arent willing to address it anymore.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I'm not sure I understand the difference between Satanism and devil worship. You're trying to defend something that is too similar to the thing that caused your mother's friend to be put in prison. How do you actually KNOW your friends aren't a little off their rocker, too? And why are you friends with them in the first place? I take it you are not of your mother's faith, but do you share your friends' faith, and is that how you met them?
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 1:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree. You just have to sit her down and tell her: I'm an adult... these are my friends & they are harmless... these are my kids & they are not neglected or abused. Respect my parenting or don't come around any more. If you want to report me, just do it already & quit running your mouth about it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• SaraCVT- you are talking to the OP like your her mother and repremending her lol. Its none of your business either how the OP met her friends and why she is friends with them. i am Wiccan and i know alot of people in diff faiths but i would never say why you are friends with catholics???
    Anonymous

• SaraCVT - Satanists don't even believe in Satan.... so they're not similar at all. Also, OP left no indication of her own faith - that's irrelevant. There's no reason for her NOT to be friends with who she is friends with. I don't share the same faith as ANY of my family or friends.... but that doesn't stop us from being family & friends.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I know it's none of my business how the OP met her friends, and frankly, I don't care. But I'm trying to get her/him to THINK about his/her life choices and this tangle she/he has found himself/herself in and the possible reasons why it happened. As a mother I teach my children that "every choice has a consequence and you have to live with the consequences". A conflict is never 100% the fault of one person; what percentage is the OP's fault and what can he/she do about it? THAT was my point.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 1:20 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• If you mother calls CYS she is spending the States money foolishly. There isn't a law that dictates who our friends can or can't be. Think about how foolish it sounds. However, I believe her sincere concern for her grandchildren should be handled delicately. If you have and still want a relationship with your mom possibly the two of you can work this out where all wins. Try and respect her as your mom and possibly she will listen to your concerns and even your common sense. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!!
    skrush

Answer by skrush at 1:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• the first thing many people associate with satanism, is devil worshipping...which is not so. but if she cares less about other points of views, even if you're just trying to educate her, she might not want to listen. you could just tell her that the woman in prison worships the devil, but a "satanist" does not. they "worship themselves" meaning they are in control of their fate, they are responsible for their own will...I think that's right lol
    Anonymous

• SaraCVT, how is it the OP's fault that her mother cannot stop to listen for one second to the truth.

OP- Honestly its much like me trying to convince my grandmother, that Wiccans other pagans are not devil worshipers as well. If she calls on people so be it. Unless they are doing something else that is unsafe for the kids, they will find out nothing is going on.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:56 PM on Oct. 26, 2009