Why do I have to have the strep b test done if I'm having a c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is done for security reasons. If they did not give you the meds, & your baby got it, there would be a lawsuit. Doctors just do not want to risk it.

When I went in for my c-section, I dont recall getting it, but I know it was done(I was positie for strep B, too.) Its really no big deal.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Probably because in the off chance that you go into labor BEFORE your c-section and happen to deliver vaginally, they know that you do or don't have it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• All they do is swab your butt...you probably will not even notice it.
    Anonymous

• you don't have to have the test if you don't want to, and you also don't have to have antibiotics if you don't want to. for the strep at least. i don't know anything about c-section in particular. talk to you doctor about the benefits, if there are any. :)
    Anonymous

• Yea, I've already had it done. I was just curious as to why I had to have it done if I'm not delivering naturally. Makes sense now. =) thanks ladies
    Anonymous