Homemade soup

This is my first time making homemade soup. I an making chicken and veg soup and I used only chicken broth. Some Thyme and salt and pep. In the crockpot. It has no flavor..
What can I do to add more flavor in it?

1lilgirl

Asked by 1lilgirl at 2:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Add salt or Mrs. Dash, or add some spicy vegs (jalapenos, red peppers, etc)

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• We use a can of vegetable broth to help with flavor. Make sure you add a bay leaf and celery salt or powder.
    What do you have on hand? I have added poultry seasoning.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I did put cerery in it and I do have a bay leaf. I'll put a bay leaf in it.. Any thing esle?
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 2:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I use the broth and also a can of cream of chicken soup and a little celery salt
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I have plastic bags that close and freeze well and I use them to store the ends of veggies or parts of veggies that have already been cleaned (I eat 3 times the amount of veggies to the amount of meat I eat).  I keep the bag and add celery, carrots, red, yellow, orange, or green pepper pieces, leeks, etc. Once the bag gets a bit full, I use it with water and boil it for as long as I feel the need to boil (around an hour or two). I don't add much salt, if any but I do use garlic powder, pepper, onion powder and some other herbs, depending on what I have in the cabinet.  This creates a stock. You can remove the veggies and use the stock (liquid) or do what I do and use a hand pulverizer to turn my soup into a thicker soup (I like creamy soups, but I hate all the flour, milk, and butter involved!).  I've made celery and cucumber soup recently and wow! Awesome Soup!

ironkitten

Answer by ironkitten at 2:44 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Homemade chicken soup is never going to taste as good as canned, because canned is overloaded with sodium, a.k.a. flavor. Try adding some seasoned salt.
    Anonymous

• I throw a bollion cube in rather than using canned broth. I boil the chicken (with skin and bones) with celery and a bay leaf, parsley and basil. Then I skim the fat off the top, and toss in the veggies and noodles. shred the chicken tossing the fatty parts and you should be good to go.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Ahh, sounds like I am not going to get the FLAVOR I am looking for.. Well, darn! I am all about FLAVOR..lol Thanks!
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 3:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• eak!!!!
    anaon 1514? seriously? no, no, no, no, no....

she just needs to learn how to make a good stock base (big dif between stock and broth! and home made or store bought!).... i'm so sorry that you haven't had good food, i really feel sorry, like my heart hurts!

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• @ ObbyDobbie - Yes, seriously. A little seasoning salt goes a long way without adding a whole lot of sodium. I make my own homemade stock all the time, and I add it when I'm making it. It adds just a bit of pizzaz. And not like it matters, but I use more stuff in my stock than most people. It's dang good stuff on it's own, and my soup is pretty darn good if I do say so myself. With just a touch of seasoning salt, among the other herbs & whatnot.
    Anonymous