How do I make him chew?

I have a 20 month old son and he will not chew! I give him bigger bites to encourage him to chew and he just swallows it down. I show him how mommy does it and he immitates but wont do it with food in his mouth. Has anyone ever had this problem? How did you help yours learn?

HuskerMommy08

Asked by HuskerMommy08 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I definitely wouldn't be giving him bigger bites, just mash his food up for him or cut into really small peices, and eventually he'll get the hang of it. My kids think it's fun to see what they can swallow without chewing - they get in trouble if they get caught though!
    Anonymous

• How about those baby cookies- just sucking on them is possible but not as yummy as getting a bigger piece. Maybe that would work. But otherwise I agree with anon, bigger pieces may not be the best idea, they could choke him.

Answer by Bmat at 4:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• lol I am not giving him too big of bites... just bigger than usual. And I mean bigger bites of things like bananas and other soft foods that you still need to chew. I don't want people to think I am choking him... I'm just trying to encourage him to chew.
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 5:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009