What is the maximum number of students per class in USA Elementary Public Schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I believe it varies by state and school district. The number of students per class is one of the biggest reasons we moved to the school district we are in now. My oldest DS is in 1st grade. There are 13 kids in his class. There are 2 other 1st grade classes, they both have 12 kids. Even if our school were to have to cut one teacher per grade, we would still only have an average of 20 students or less per classroom.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 4:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I Believe it differs from state to state
    Anonymous

• not sure but i know when i was in elem. school in one grade we had like 30 kids per room
    Anonymous

• In Fla, it is about 20 to 25 or so.

Answer by older at 3:01 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• When we lived in Cali there were 39 kids in my sons 1st grade class. His school here in Kansas there are 18 I think they try to stay under 24 here. In Cali they are so broke they had no choice but to cut teachers. So many schools are like this. Their education sucked there already cannot imagine how much worse it is now.
    Anonymous

• It varies by school district.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• in Illinois there can be 25-30 students in a classroom no assistants and maybe an aide if some of the children have behavioral disorders
    Anonymous

• When I went to school in the 1950's, we had at least 35 kids in class. We were all pretty quiet and well-behaved so the number of students was never a issue. I guess now days it is--my daughter says that in the school my grandchildren attend, they want only 24 per class. But kids are less polite and more noisy and hyper now days so I think small classes are the best. Oh , and I really want to know why kids are so unruly now!!! And rude.
    Anonymous

• I really want to know why kids are so unruly now!!! And rude.

I hear that from my dad but every generation ends up saying this. lol
    Anonymous

• In CA, there is a state-mandated limit of 20 per class in grades K-3. I don't know that there IS a limit for the upper grades.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2009