Is it hard to live in the deep south compared to the north?

boogernoodle

Asked by boogernoodle at 3:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would personally love to live in the south! I'm in Iowa and I want my warm weather back!! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It's hard everywhere.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• While I don't live in the deep South, I did make a major move from the North to the South several years ago. Yes, it is quite different, especially understanding the accent. Words have different meaning and yes, you will even hear new words, such as ya'll and youngins. Pop will become soda. But overall, I enjoy the weather so much more and in fact, would like to move further south in the future! One more thing is racism. It is worse in the south, sorry to say.
    Anonymous

• i'm not sure what you mean by hard. I'm not deep south, but I live in arkansas. I like it soo much better than I did California and Colorado. I miss some family, but to me this is the best place I've ever lived.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i live in alabama and i don't think i could adjust to life "up north" like anon said we use words that some ppl aren't used to like younguns, yonder and we call it "coke" here instead of pop o soda, anything is a coke we go to the store and say "what kind of coke do you want?" lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't think Florida is really deep south. But I call it the south. I don't like it hear. We are planning on moving North but still in what is considered the south.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• It depends on what you mean? Are you talking about the weither?

Answer by louise2 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I can't imagine living in a politically conservative area

Answer by rkoloms at 3:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i'm smack in the middle of the bible belt... its better here, towards the coast, but SC is a nightmare.

i was raised down here, but my family is from upstate NY, i honestly do feel i was given an advantage by having been raised by more open, sensible, rational people. honestly, i would love to move out west, or way, way north. find some like minded kin folk. lol

about the pop thing- yeah, lived down here almost my whole life, i call it that, but to everyone else if it has bubbles its a coke. even though it might be a sundrop!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Well, my husband is from the Pacific NW and moved to Mississippi for a few years for grad school. Seems like a HUGE difference not only from the food eaten to the people and what's acceptable or not, the heat and humidity, education levels or lack thereof, bugs, politics, etc. Seemed very different. Probably depends on where you're raised and how you're raised and if you can deal with enormous bugs!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2009