Non med. control for severe ADHA/ODD

We are seeing the Psychiatrist wed. The Ped suspects ADHD/ODD what are non med. options for controlling this? I do not ant to jump on the drug train. I know there are options but what are they? He is still 5 but this is an extreme case and we were trying to hold off til 6 but his ped recommended we go ahead and seek help from a psych.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Talk to the psychiatrist before making any decision. I don't know of ANY nonmed treatment for ODD. The best treatment for ADHD is meds and counseling. Deciding when to medicate is a personal decision and one that needs to be made with the doctor. I tried counseling first with my son and it didn't work enough. He is on meds and has been for about 4 years and it made a huge difference.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Some things can be controlled with behavior modification and some things can be controlled by diet. I would do a little digging and see what you can come up with to discuss with the psych.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• there are definitely a lot of things you can do with the diet. my middle dd is on a relatively strict diet for her ADHD. it helped tremendously so we have managed to avoid the drug thing.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Ask for a Food Panel RAST test for IgG & IgE. Rule out food sensitivities FIRST! If he's already had allergy testing done, please ask if they checked for IgG. IgG indicates an intolerance/sensitivity that does not always show as a traditional allergic reaction. RAST test is done by blood draw.

This test saved my son. Please feel free to pm me and read my journals. Shirlgirlie also has great info in her journals.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• If it's being "controlled" by diet, then it's not true ADHD, it's a food sensitivity. Huge difference.

You'll need to speak with the psychologist and do not let him make a decision based on ONE meeting. He should meet with your son several times before a diagnosis is offered.

Behavior modification can help, or stronger behavior management might be needed. OT is a valuable therapy for ADHD kids as it helps teach them to cope with their challenges, and helps them learn how to use their challenges in their daily lives to their advantage.
    Anonymous