Outcomes for those who self induced...

I am curious to know what were the outcomes of those of you who tried self inducing tricks for labor...(i.e. sex, exercise, castor oil, nipple stimulation...)
I'm interested in all the outcomes but mainly did your labor "take off" once it began or did you have to have medical intervention to help it along (pitocin, c- section...)?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I waited till my doctor self induced me, I don't believe in self inducing, you could harm yourself or the baby.
    Anonymous

• horrible horrible idea i tried castor oil with my oldest and it was horrible i was just up all night with cramps and still had to be induced by my doctor so it didn't work at all for me
    leemarie18

Answer by leemarie18 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I've found the best way to get things moving is to start a big project on your house. LOL! My husband decided at the last minute that the master bathroom needed to finally get remodeled. At my 38 week appointment the midwife examined me, told me how far dilated and effaced I was and said we could have sex to try to get things moving. That night my husband was like - sorry no sex for you until after the due date - because he wasn't ready due to the bathroom being completely destroyed at that moment. Yeah, she came three days later. Also, eat all the food in your house and don't pack your hospital bag. The day we came home from the hospital my husband and his mom went grocery shopping. Pretty much procrastinate everything with the thinking that you're probably going to go overdue. LOL! The one thing we did get done in time was install the car seat base. We did that the day before she made her appearance.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I saw my dr. on my due date and I still didnt show any progress (only 1 cm dilated). he told me if I wasnt in labor by next week he'd schedule an appt to induce me. well that weekend i spent the majority of the day self inducing myself lol I did a lot of walking and once home I massaged the tops of my ankles, which in reflexology, stimulates the uterus. I had loose bowels (sorry if tmi) later that afternoon. later that evening SO and I had sex and I started to bleed and had terrible contractions, and I mean out of nowhere! SO didnt know what was going on, but he had work in the morning and didnt think anything of it. I called the ER and they told me to breathe and take a bath to help minimize the pain...which didnt do ANYTHING lol I woke up SO and we went to the ER at 3 am. my son was born that afternoon
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I tried caster oil - it was HORRIBLE and it did nothing but make me gag.
    Have you considered accupuncture? I was scheduled to be induced for my last child, and I didn't want pitocin and the whole hospital induction. I took a friends advice and decided to try accupuncture (it was only $45, and was 1 hour of relaxation). Accupuncture doesn't start labor; it helps to prepare your body for labor. My water broke the following day, and 2.5 hours later I had a healthy baby boy. If I ever decide to have another child (I already have 4 so that probably won't happen :-) I would definately use accupuncture again!! Best of Luck!!
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 3:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I tried castor oil and all that did was make me sick. As soon as i hit my due date i started nipple stimulation, it works as long as you keep doing it but it's gets agrivating after awhile. I went into labor 2 days after i started doing that and my labor only last 11 hours half of what it was with my son.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 4:43 PM on Oct. 26, 2009