Outcomes for those who self induced...

I am curious to know what were the outcomes of those of you who tried self inducing tricks for labor...(i.e. sex, exercise, castor oil, nipple stimulation...)
I'm interested in all the outcomes but mainly did your labor "take off" once it began or did you have to have medical intervention to help it along (pitocin, c- section...)?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I ended up still needing pitocin.
    Anonymous

• Well my doc "stripped my membranes" and I ended up needing pitocin.. I was already dilating, though, to 3 cm and it was the day before my due date..
    Anonymous

• Just so you know Nothing except drugs (Pitocin, etc) and things like stripping your membranes are going to even remotely get you close to laboring unless your body is already beginning the process anyway. It may help progress labor once you're already there but it wont cause it to start.
    Anonymous

• Walking sure helped once I already STARTED having contractions.. LOL
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I don't believe in inducing, you should wait b/c you could harm yourself or the baby...patience, the baby will be here before you know it.
    Anonymous

• Nothing worked, haha. I tried walking, eating spicy food, drinking raspberry leaf tea, sex, eating pineapples, nipple stimulation. No go.
    Anonymous

• your body will go into labor when the baby is ready to come out. Things like walking and nipple stimulation can help it progress faster once it starts. Personally I walked until I just couldn't do it anymore (i had hit transition) and then I sat in the shower with warm water on my belly during contractions and nipples in between. I had about 4 hours before hitting transition and about 2 hours of transition with both children and then 30 minutes pushing #1 out and 90 minutes with #2 because she was sunny side up. Being medically induced is even worse IMO because once one intervention is started the chances of another just skyrocket.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:18 PM on Oct. 26, 2009