Obama's strategy is not to tame media or blame it for his troubles: it's both

WASHINGTON - The same president who aggressively harnesses the power of the press to promote his agenda has taken to lacing his comments with criticisms of the media, with no bigger target than the gabby culture of cable television.

The irritation has reached another level recently over Fox News, which Obama and his aides have brazenly tried to marginalize by calling it a Republican outlet that shouldn't be treated like a real news network. Yet publicly singling out one news organization is but the most highly publicized push-back from an Obama White House that began back during last year's campaign building a reputation for aggressively confronting reporters over stories it doesn't like and using hardball tactics to try to get its way.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33479739/ns/politics-white_house/

Do you agree with msnbc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A witch hunt that has gone badly for the Obama admin...keep your mouth shut and do your damn job. Obama just made Fox's ratings skyrocket. I don't normally watch the news - but I purposefully turned it on just to show my support for the 1st Amendment and my personal "up yours" to the Pres.
    Anonymous

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Still grly.... more than a little surprising that msnbc is running it at all. I think he may have gone a LITTLE too far......
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree with this, "But with more than 70 percent of Americans saying television is their main source of national and international news, according to a Pew Research survey, it's clear that Obama and his advisers are most riled by what's on nonstop cable."

And this: "Predictably, Obama's media coverage has turned more negative since the start of his term. That reflects the partisan tensions in Washington, setbacks on many of his top agenda items, and the traditional adversarial, watchdog role of the White House press corps."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I love Big Bang Theory
    Anonymous

• I was really impressed with all the major networks when they stepped up to the pay czar not accepting to take an interview with fox.

They all got to together and told the pay czar that if you won't let fox interview you, then none of us interview you either.

They got it, that even though fox is their competitor which they sometimes bash, that they needed to stand up for freedom of the press together.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Good for them!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:10 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• They stood up for Fox because they could be next. Newspapers are going broke. Next you will have the govt bailing them out and guess what? The govt will control our newspapers and what they can and cannot print. I was in Barnes and Noble today and everywhere you look are magazines, paperbacks, hardbacks, etc of Obama. If I see one more picture I swear I am going to take that magazine up to the counter, purchase it and then rip it to shreds. Now if we all did that maybe people just might get the message.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I think this war with Fox may be the turning point in the media love affair.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• You are so right Scorpio.  Even Hugo Chavez started his campaign to control the news with only one station then went on from there. 

Anonymous