What else can I do? (To get my third grader to do better in his reading and comprehension)

Ok I am helping my 8 yr. old son (3rd. grader) on Reading Comprehension and then answer question to see how much he remembers. Well here I thought he was doing great I mean he is not that great of a reader but he tries so hard and I help him through it. Like maybe say it for him after he has tried to so many times.
But I want him to do this completely alone it's not that I don't want to help him but I need him to understand it himself not come to me for everylittle obstacle. I mean he comes back to ask me common sense stuff of the story. I am getting so frustrated with him. It seems like my dh has to straighten him out then he seems to do alot better I mean sometimes he gets scolded and spanked and it works.
With me it's more like layed back and comfortable I don't want that from him I want him to get after it the way he does with his dad. What else can I do?
I am home allday so I got the time. Help and thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well reading needs to be something that enjoyable I cannot imagine the threats of spanking are helping all that much. My son is 6 almost 7 and in the 2nd grade. He loves reading we have made it a fun experience for him so he reads a lot and that has helped with fluency and comprehension. We find books he enjoys to read. His favorite book is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and he really likes the Magic Tree House, Captain Underpants, Diary of a Whimpy Kid and Ready Freddy. He loves Roald Dahl's books. I would find what he likes and read those along with assigned reading. Find a comfy spot for him to read and maybe even a reward chart for doing homework. Try to make it positive for him instead of so negative.
    Anonymous

• As ANON said,reading should be fun, not a task. If you read with him and find fun books for him,he will be more ikely to want to read. If he is spanked, he will dread it and avoid it because it is painful. The punishment approach is a bad way to get kids to do things that should be fun.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• We just had an after school meeting at the school where they gave the parents tips on helping their kids read. One of the things they told us is that part of the problem is that kids concentrate so hard on reading the words that they don't read the story. Meaning they struggle to read each word and they don't put it all together into a sentence, paragraph, chapter, story. They also said that at this point one of the best ways to help them comprehend is to help them read. Some of the ways they recommend are for you to read, and stop every now and then for him to read a word or two, or for you to swap off reading, you read one paragraph, he reads the next, or to read it together, with him kind of echoing a bit behind you. They said that this will help him follow along, but also makes it easier for him to put it all together into a story, thus comprehending what he is reading.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• As a former teacher for 10 years now a home day care provider- You really need to teach your son the basics. In tht I mean PHONICS. IN my experience with teaching kindergarten,1st 2nd and 3rd grade levels, I have found that when children did not hve the beginnig nasics with pronounciation or the Phonetics- they were terrible readers who did not know what they had just read. Also do not threaten him ofr spank. He will only hate reading and become even lousier at it. I would suggest you get som primer words (internet) or sight words for him and begin with htose there are at least 150 sight words. Then get a phonics book and go over the sounds and letters,vowels,silent e all of that! I taught a Spanish speaking 3rd grader, with this method and he turned out to be in the top reading level by the end of the year. Since you have the time- develop the patience, start with one letter a week, and since he is already in the 3rd
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 4:33 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• grade, you will have to give him a lot of encouragement so that he can feel good about himself. Eventually his pace and reading as well as comprehension will improve, an you can also go over the alphabet to discover if he even knows the sounds they make PHONETICALLY. Good luck, in as little as 6 month with continued practice everyday he will improve. Also get him easy-reader chilrens books. then go on to the next level once he has accomplished that. Also, it is ok if he has "memorized" reaing. Some good boks: TheCat in the Hat" Dick and Jane,a few others tat fail me right now but you get the picture easy words. Sorry for all the misspelled words, I saw this question and I was so anxious I just had to jump all over it.
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 4:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My 2nd grade son fought reading tooth and nail, until I took him into Hastings and had him pick a book himself. It took him probably half an hour, but he finally found the Goosebumps books, the ones with ghosts, ghouls, spooky stuff, and fairly gross monsters (his current one is something about a "booger-like monster that eats dirty, stinky socks".) It's perfect for his little boy gross sense of humor!! He's LOVING it!! He's actually retaining and comprehending what he's reading, and has asked if he could have a later bedtime so he could read before bed! (I gave him 10 minutes.)
    {As a matter of fact, he's laying out on the deck in my hammock, reading his Gooesebumps book right now!}
    Try to find him books that HE likes: dragons, dinosaurs, bugs, Goosebumps, what ever. If you want to build his confidence start with easier books and build up. It'll only help.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 8:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Read TO him and ask questions every few pages or very page. Find books that interest him. Get comprehension worksheets and have him do one or two a day. It takes practice. Ask the teacher what else you can do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My husband would cut out cartoons from the newspaper and put them on the refrigerator .....the kids loved to read them and laugh at them.
    We also would have a word for the week on the fridge. All week we would use that word in sentences or stories.
    As my kids got older my husband would cut out stories from the newspaper that might interest them. That he still does today! They are all adults but LOVE his articles.
    Comic books are of great interests to boys. No matter what they are reading, its what interests them that makes them want to comprehend what they are reading.
    Make reading fun.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Let him ask every and any question he wants to for a while; he will begin to make those connections himself before long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2009