A question for cigarette smokers

If you see someone eating outside...and you want a smoke...do you ask if they mind your smoking, do you smoke a reasonable distance away, or do you just light up next to them?

piggyfairy

Asked by piggyfairy at 3:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Health

• okay like eating outside where? standing on the side walk eating outside or like an outside patio restaurant?
    Anonymous

• I ask because I was eating my lunch outside for a change, rather than hole up in my office. A coworker comes out, no less than 4 feet from me and lights up. Didn't even consider the fact that I was eating, and that he knows I don't smoke.
    And he thought I was rude for taking my lunch inside.
    piggyfairy

Answer by piggyfairy at 3:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• No, I don't sit next to someone and just light up unless they are smokers too, I also stay away from buildings and entrances. I also dont smoke around children. I try to be respectful of non-smokers.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:51 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Oh, in front of my workplace there is a concrete bench....that's where I was sitting.
    piggyfairy

• no i would not sit or stand right beside you while you were eating. if i were in need of a cigerette tha bad i would walk around the corner or into the parking lot or something
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• No that is why there are designated smoking areas where I am. I think he was rude. In our state you must be 10 feet from an doors or air vents on any buildings.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• See, that's what I would do too.....I used to smoke, years ago, before I had kids. My folks always smoked around us growing up and I remember how awful their cigs smelled, so I kept that in mind when I lit up in public.....never ever around kids, and away from people in general when possible.

Dang a couple of weeks ago, I moved over so an older lady could sit next to me at the bus stop; what does she do, when she's already out of breath? She lights a cigarette. Didn't ask if I minded; so I had to move away far enough to not smell it.
    piggyfairy

Answer by piggyfairy at 3:57 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I always, always take notice of which way the air is moving when I light a cigarette. I try to stand downwind of anyone within 50 feet of me, regardless of what they are doing (eating, talking, etc.). I've always been conscious of that - honestly even though I smoke the smell of cigarettes bugs me. When I am smoking w/ a friend I get pissed if they blow their smoke in my direction. Weird, yes, I know, but I try to stay out of my OWN smoke, even. I hold my hand away from me and try not to let the smoke come back my direction. I guess I wasn't cut out to be a smoker. I just like it too much now to quit. Yet.
    Anonymous

• WHY DONT ALL OF YALL QUIT SMOCKING BECOUCSE ALL ITS DOING IS KILLING U FASTER AND IT TURNS YOUR LUNGS TO BLACK AND U FALL OVER DEAD ! ! ITS WASTING YOUR MONEY ! !
    Anonymous