Whats up w/ her?

There is this mom who totally snubs me @ school. I know she knows who I am. Our sons are in the same grade and have been in the same class for the last 2 years. They also play soccer together. Her hubby is the coach. Our daughters are also in the same class. Whenever I see her @ games or @ school she pretends like she doesn't know me. Even on back to school night I wa talking to the teacher and she she walked up and stood on the opposite side of the table and seemed oblivious to me. Fine whatever. Honestly I was just like I guess she is just not very friendly. BUT then I run into her @ the store. I had no intention of talking to her, but I told my daughter, " Oh there's Carlie" (There's no reason the girls can't be friends, right?) The mom was all "OH HI!!! How are you guys?" I was just dumbfounded and said "oh fine and you?" Really what is that all about? so weird?

scout82

Asked by scout82 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• my sister is the same way with people in public. If she doesn't know someone very well or she's in a highly social situation then she is really uncomfortable and will pretend nobody is around in order to cope. She wants to get what she needs to get done, and get out. That could be her issue, does it usually only happen around big groups?
    You might try getting to know her on a one on one level if she was nice at the grocery store. She probably doesn't really dislike you, just is nervous about getting to know you and doesn't want to screw up in front of other people.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Maybe she isn't comfortable talking to new people one on one.
    Anonymous

• if that was the case, why would she talk to me @ the store? She seriously acts like she doesn't even know me. Our boys are in the same "group" and always do stuff together. All the moms know eachother. We all all talk. If we are in the group talking, she doen't even look @ me. Or she will wait until I walk away. I'm just confused. Should I just "kill her w/ kindness"? What would you do?
    scout82

Answer by scout82 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• She didn't want to seem rude in front of her kid??

Try to "kill her with kindness"

Arrange a play date between your kids so you are forced to interact somehow.
    Anonymous

• well is rude @ school in front of all the other kids, hers included
    scout82

Answer by scout82 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I would flat out ask her, Did I do something to do, or do I smell or something?? At least then she would know that she is being obvious about it. That is so high school grow up and act like an adult already.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I agree with Devil, confront this woman.

If you don't want to confront her than ignore her.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 4:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Maybe she just wants to take care of what she needs to take care of and get the heck out of there she is obviously not a people person, don't take it personal maybe that is how and who she is I know I hate to be in public and if I have to go take care of something I just want to take care of that and that is that...I don't mean to be this way but some people rather be left alone. So it is by her choice to be this way just say hello to her don't wait for her she is obviously not going to do it.
    No big deal.
    Anonymous

• I deal with this a lot as well. There are several groups of moms who do this at my son's school, and if you happen to fall into any of the categories, you're snubbed. They are typically sahms whose husbands have very well paying jobs. They like to hang out at the school "volunteering," aka socializing with others in their group, but don't actually assist in the classrooms, etc. There's probably 7-12 of them, but they give other sahms a bad name.

If you're employed, if you are single/divorced, if you don't participate in the "right" activities, if you don't have only 2-3 kids, your car is wrong, you don't make enough money, have the wrong hair style; the list goes on. They are the popular, mean girls of the pta, lol!

I would be polite and civil to her but would otherwise ignore her. If you don't mind confrontation, ask her. Seriously, you would think people would outgrow this, but they get worse with age.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 5:22 PM on Oct. 26, 2009