Want to work at Target,Wal-mart,Jcpenney, or Tjmaxx.

I've applied online, all of them, but never got any luck.

Would it be inappropriate to show up there and ask for a job or something? I desperately need a job :(

Have you any moms worked at those places?
And I'd like to know how to get a job there.

Any advice? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you do a follow up call a week or so later so you know they got your app? What I have been told and what I learned while working at a Shopko was that you get hired at the holiday season then you impress them so they keep you. Every one of the long standing employees I knew did that. They should be starting to hire for that soon so I would keep your eyes open.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Ive worked at walmart. DH still does. ITs an AWFUL place to work! they will give you full time hours but say in the paperwork youre only part time, or they'll give you one day not full time hours so you DONT get benefits. The management plays favorites and are corrupt. They would pull me out of my department which was infants. I wouldnt be there my WHOLE shift and then theyd get mad cause it wasnt cleaned and zoned. How am I supposed to do that when the managers put me in other departments all day??? DH works like a dog and he stills gets bitched at. He works in automotive so we're constantly having to buy new clothes for him because of the battery acid leaking on his clothes. Shouldnt walmart pay for his uniform since it was ruined on the job? NOPE! They have issues with you requesting certain days off too. My aunt went into a diabetic coma and started having heart attacks. I missed ONE day to see her and was fired!
    Anonymous

• I work at JCP, I put in an app online,had an interview the next day and was hired on the spot. I was trying to get my little cousin a job, and the lady that was hiring people said that her app never went through because of the way that she answered the questionnaire. If you answer a certain way sometimes the app won't even go to them. I would call and ask if they are hiring and if so I would ask what dept and position that way you can apply specifically for that spot..Good luck
    Anonymous

• my husband works at walmart and it was not that bad... he worked his butt off and got a promotion. He was on a d day for a year which you have to be coached a few times before you get to that point. A d day is the point where if you mess up one more time you will be fired so my previous anon poster who hates walmart had to be at that point before she was fired. Anyway my DH had a dday and a year later when it fell off of his record he was promoted.... so walmart is no that horrible of a place to work he has fulltime hrs and they kept him in hba for the first couple of hours and when that was done he would help everybody else finish up their depts.
    Anonymous

• You do not want to work at walmart or target..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:42 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Most retail stores are hiring seasonal help for the holidays now - I would dress nice, go in, and ask if they are hiring.

Answer by missanc at 9:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• There's no reason to feel superior to working in retail, as a previous poster said. It's not someone else's place to judge if you want to work at Walmart or Target. Where I live, both stores have a little computer you sit at to apply. Walmart does make you go through the questionnaire and they are tough to get into. I've known people who have tried. Target, it seems like they hire anybody and nobody seems to stay very long, at least on the floor. It's always different people. The people who work at my Walmart seem happy and are there for years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• "Walmart does make you go through the questionnaire and they are tough to get into. I've known people who have tried. Target, it seems like they hire anybody and nobody seems to stay very long, at least on the floor. It's always different people. The people who work at my Walmart seem happy and are there for years."

Are you sure it isn't the other way around? Walmart will hire nearly anyone, targets hiring process is alittle tougher. Also walmart is shitty with their employees and while target isn't much better they do seem to care more about their employees.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2009