Membrane Stripping

Why does it have to hurt sooo damn bad when they strip your membranes? I'm 38 weeks so I could go at any time as it is and my Dr. just had to go ahead and strip my membranes while they were checking me! It would have been one thing if they had asked but they just did it and now my back is hurting me sooo bad I can barley stand it! This had better work and send me into labor here in the next day or so, or I'm gonna be pissed!

Oh I'm a loose 1 cm as they told me!!

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would be very angry if they did that to me without informing me, especially so early. it can lead to premature rupture of membranes, in which case, you might have to be induced before your body is ready, in which case your risk of c-section would be higher :( most likely it won't do anything though. :) good luck! i get so frustrated with doctors telling moms they could go any day, when that is of course true, but it is also true that you could have 3 weeks left. or more. hang in there! :) i also got my membranes stripped without being told/asked first and i consider that to be such a violation. hello! it's my body! anyway, at least i was over 40 weeks at the time, otherwise i would have been so angry
    Anonymous

• I would be calling a lawyer if they did that without your permission!!!!!!! Especially if it causes some sort of issue which it very well could in the long run. Just because you are dilating and thinning does NOT mean you could go any day. I was checked regularly with my first and around 37 weeks they said I would have him in the next couple days because of how much I was dilated (3 cm). Well I ended up going a couple more weeks and they kept checking me and telling me oh just a couple days. With my second I REFUSED to let them check me until I was in active labor almost transition. I had no idea where my cervix was until I was 8.5 cm along with #2. being 1cm means absolutely nothing!!!! Sorry to tell you honey.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Wow, ehh... a little law suit could pad baby's college fund.
    :- /
    It reinforces why we say to avoid unnecessary interventions. This includes vaginal exams.
    No reason to add unnecessary risks to yours & baby's safety.

I never had any with my pregnancies, many women don't ever get checked, their caregivers don't ask. You might like to avoid them in the future, too, for your safety.

BTW, they don't have to be painful~ if a mom is facing a health complication and stripping membranes is an alternative to medical induction, it can be done effectively and gently.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• WELL I GOT IT DONE AT 38 WKS I REQUESTED I AND IT DIDNT HURT ME AT ALL. I WENT INTO LABOR 3 HRS LATER. I WAS 4CM AND 75: EFFACED
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Answered at 7:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2009 by: piwife
    WELL I GOT IT DONE AT 38 WKS I REQUESTED I AND IT DIDNT HURT ME AT ALL. I WENT INTO LABOR 3 HRS LATER. I WAS 4CM AND 75: EFFACED

yeah, i by no means meant that it automatically equals problems. probably in 10% of cases, it works without problem, in 80% it doesn't work without problem, and in 10% of cases it doesn't work and causes a problem... :)
    Anonymous

• i had it done with my daughter and nope nothing happened for the next few wks since i don't remember how far along i was when they did it but i went right up to the day before my baby was due. i was huge and worried that i would pass out cause i was feeling faint every day cause i had extra fluid and a 9'3 baby inside. but after i had it done i regretted it right away and hoped nothing would happen. which it didn't. i asked my dr about this just last wk and she says you have a 50/50 chance of it working. it sucks when dr's do or try to convince to do things you don't want done.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• oh yeah being one cm is nothing. i've been at 1 for a wk and i'm 50%effaced.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I think the whole reason she did it was because within a week I went from being only 1 cm and 0% effaced to being a "loose" 1 cm and 90% effaced. For a while there it seemed like I was starting labor, but after jumping in the shower to help with my back I think it was just more false since I'm not really hurting now. I am going to walk around and do some stretches and see what happens!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• This would mean that she's putting her convenience before your health and preferences (and your baby's). IF she had first consulted with you AND you'd then given your permission it would be different.

How do you feel about other unnecessary interventions?
    Is it concerning that this care provider might take her liberties in the future and take advantage of you?

There are plenty of examples of moms who don't want episiotomies, for example, but are snipped in the throes of labor. To prevent-avoid future complications, you might want to make sure your doctor knows that you do have a brain and prefer to use it. And that your baby's health and safety (as well as yours) are a priority over her convenience. (That would reduce a lot of unwanted, unnecessary interventions...)

Good luck with everything!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• She has my birth plan, which is to go as natural as possible. Or at least to go without the epi. This is the first and only time anything has happened and seeing as how I'm sure it didn't work since I haven't started contractions just more hip pain.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 2:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009